Re: [casting] Re: Large Casting... REALLY large castings...

  • Ichthyosapien
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 1, 2003
      reply:

      As I recall the domes were 14 inches across or there abouts. The models
      included working thrusters and ballast. We would make waves in the tank
      and then attempt to hook up the model to a free swinging model hoist.
      The idea was to see what the maxium sea state was that the Sea-Link
      could be recovered. We found that it did not take much in the way of
      waves to make auto hooking all but impossible, if you ever watch one of
      them sea life TV programs where there is any type of research sub, they
      always have a guy dive in to the water to hook up the
      sub......................................and now you know why.

      Lee

      Casting Fool wrote:

      >From: "Ichthyosapien" <immerse@...>
      >

      >>We tested the "Sea-Link" subs that the resin domes were cast for. The
      >>

      >domes were heat cured for over a month to get a perfect bubble free cast.
      >Our part was testing models in our ship towing tank testing for extraction
      >stability. This was many years ago at UC Berkeley.
      >
      >Now that's cool. What scale were the models (dome diameter)?
      >
      >TTFN

    • Mike Brose
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 10, 2004
        On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:09:12 -0800 (PST) Ted Quick <rim_molder@...>
        writes:
        > Yes, they do make blister windows for vans that way. If they ned a
        > bigger one
        > they tend to put a box around below the holding panel and pull a
        > vacuum in it
        > while utting compressed air above it. Makes it move a bit faster.
        > Just be sure
        > to seal between the bx(es) and the holding panel with something like
        > silicone
        > vacuum grease or petroleumm jelly, or leaks will frustrate your
        > efforts.
        >
        > Ted Quick

        Thanks for the confirmation on this and the additional details Ted!

        Sure saves a lot of time on making a quality plug and/or negative mold.
        It probably also prevents unwanted marks on the finished acrylic piece,
        since the bubble being formed isn't touching anything.

        Cheers,

        Mike Brose
        www.puppetsandprops.com