Re: [casting] Re: White metal casting problem

  • Doug McClure
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
      > Dear Doug,

      When I do the pour, I just pour through the pen bottom of
      > the mold.

      That may be the problem. You may need to make a 2 part mold, even if the
      second half is flat. I have made molds for ship models and rather than
      doing it your method, I lay it on it's side halfway embedded it clay and
      pour the RTV over it, then make the other half and cast through a gate in
      the bottom of the ship.

      > I have tried several things sine then with metal but have not been
      > successful. Yes, I use talcum powder as a mold release. I have also
      > tried it with corn starch , petrolium jelly and no release agent at
      > all.

      Use either corn starch or talcum powder. I wouldn't use petroleum jelly. In
      any event, they aren't mold releases. They function to help the metal flow.
    • Judith Zanaglio
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
        Is Baby Powder the same as talcum powder?

        T.R.

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • eabracher@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
          Depends on what the container says. Can be either.

          I use Corn Starch only. Use to use Talc but find corn starch works much
          better. I was getting only 50% on some molds and when switching to corn starch I
          could get almost 100% fill.

          eric
        • mwhirailer
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
              Does anyone know where to get low-cost white
              metal("white metal" is considered 92% or more tin
              content, right?), or is lead still a "legal" way to
              cast things for sale to the public? I'm into casting
              resin "garage" kits, and I was considering casting
              small parts for some of my kits in either white metal
              or lead rather than resin, mainly because of the
              ability to re-melt anything that doesn't cast
              properly, but resin is currently cheaper than any
              white metal I can find locally, and lead is about the
              right price, but it has the stigma of being poisonous.
              Anyone have any thoughts on this?

              Thanks!

              T.R.

              --- eabracher@... wrote:
              > Depends on what the container says. Can be either.
              >
              > I use Corn Starch only. Use to use Talc but find
              > corn starch works much
              > better. I was getting only 50% on some molds and
              > when switching to corn starch I
              > could get almost 100% fill.
              >
              > eric

              http://calendar.yahoo.com
            • phoage
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
                --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Judith Zanaglio
                <grande_illusions@y...> wrote:
                > Is Baby Powder the same as talcum powder?
                >
                > T.R.

                In most cases, Yes; but check the label.

                Patrick A. Hoage
              • Ron
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                  We supply lead free white metal alloys as well as those that contain lead.
                  "Legal" is dependent on how much risk you are prepared to take.
                  Most states (U.S.) permit the inclusion of Lead so long as you put a
                  warning label on each part specifying all the (health) risks associated
                  with the inclusion of that element. Some states now require you to get
                  a permit to sell products containing lead before sending product into
                  that state. Federal law prohibits lead in various products for use in
                  certain areas (see U.S. Fish & Wildlife).
                  There are US EPA and OSHA issues that may apply to you if you use alloys
                  that contain Lead.
                  Best regards,

                  Ron Mayer
                  http://www.neymetals.com/

                  Judith Zanaglio wrote:

                  >Does anyone know where to get low-cost white
                  >metal("white metal" is considered 92% or more tin
                  >content, right?), or is lead still a "legal" way to
                  >cast things for sale to the public? I'm into casting
                  >resin "garage" kits, and I was considering casting
                  >small parts for some of my kits in either white metal
                  >or lead rather than resin, mainly because of the
                  >ability to re-melt anything that doesn't cast
                  >properly, but resin is currently cheaper than any
                  >white metal I can find locally, and lead is about the
                  >right price, but it has the stigma of being poisonous.
                  >Anyone have any thoughts on this?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > T.R.
                  >
                  >--- eabracher@... wrote:
                  >

                  >>Depends on what the container says. Can be either.
                  >>
                  >>I use Corn Starch only. Use to use Talc but find
                  >>corn starch works much
                  >>better. I was getting only 50% on some molds and
                  >>when switching to corn starch I
                  >>could get almost 100% fill.
                  >>
                  >>eric

                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Baby powder usually contains fragrances and oils that give off gases
                    when casting molten metals. Use unscented powders when using molten metals.

                    Best regards,

                    Ron Mayer
                    http://www.neymetals.com/

                    phoage wrote:

                    >--- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Judith Zanaglio
                    ><grande_illusions@y...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>Is Baby Powder the same as talcum powder?
                    >>
                    >> T.R.
                    >>

                    >In most cases, Yes; but check the label.
                    >
                    >Patrick A. Hoage

                  • otter_48
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 30, 2003
                      Baby powder has talc in it but other stuff as well. Get some
                      casting talc from Romanoff. Way different stuff.
                      Rick

                    • eabracher@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                        better yet buy only corn starch. works better than talc and is not harmful
                        to your lungs.

                        eric