Melting Plastic

  • Tarik Ozkan
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 1, 2003
      Here is another information i got elswhere around:

      I've played around with melting 2 liter bottles and also milk jugs
      (PETE and HDPE) and the only way it works is by pressure injecting.
      Made many fishing lures and outdoor items this way. Here's a link to
      give an idea of a homemade die pressure unit.
      http://www.dm.net/~lughaid/diecaster.htm

      Fumes are an outside job for sure! Toaster oven with variable heat
      up to 500 deg. F. works good.
      Start at 200 and work up to 350-375 in the course of an hour and a half.
    • sir_tancred <gary.mort@ool.wd1.net>
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 8, 2003
        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "ozkantarik <ozkantarik@h...>"
        <ozkantarik@h...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I want to melt some plastic like plastic coke bottles, etc. that i
        > collected
        > elswhere around. Do i better build up something like furnace? Or
        > use kitchen oven? It
        > should be home-made.. Any ideas how to? Is it toxic?

        Build your own plastic injection moulding machine,
        http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/inject/index.html

        "Best of all you'll be molding with plastic recycled from milk jugs,
        soda pop bottles, plastic oil cans, and more. Your raw materials are
        free and plentiful."

        -Gary
        (someday when I have the time I'd love to build a Gingery foundry)