Re: More info-and question

  • Brian Chapman
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
      Lee,

      You're setup, thanks to a list member. But HO scale is 1:87, S scale
      is 1:64, for future reference. I had thought S scale might be useful
      to you for your submarine project.

      With your ship-building expertise, thought I would ask you about a
      project I have in mind for sometime in the future: a 1:160 (N scale in
      model railroading) battleship USS Iowa. This ship is 887 feet long,
      about 5.5 feet in N scale.

      I have plans for building a large vacuum-forming machine. Seems to me
      a negative mold would be best, since I've read that the greatest
      detail is achieved in this way, and hull plating is a detail I've got
      to have. Still, the hull would have to be produced in two, perhaps
      three, parts.

      Just wondering if you might have any advice, suggestions to offer
      about this would-be project.

      Thanks much,

      Brian

      Brian Chapman
      Granger Roads
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • indigogyre@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
        Brian,

        Your correct in your understanding of the best details coming from a negative mold. Although it might be a bit more work for you but if your going to build a vacuum forma machine make a specialized one to deal with your hull issue seperately. The reason I say this is due to the shape of the molds for this. They will be rather long and narrow in proportions, depending on the size of your machine You might end up having to waste a lot of plastic. Since for the negative mold you would want the dropp of your plastic tobe roughly in the middle of the mold to help eliminate thin spots from the plastic being stretched into the corners and detailed areas.

        This would be less of a concern for positive molds and you could run two or possibly three of the hull molds at the same time.

        When thinking of designs make sure that the basic mechanicals can be switched over from the upper forming parts ie. your heater and platen and clampping frame. This way your only going to produce say something 2 feet long by 1 foot wide for your hull sections, and then a multi use section around 2 feet by 2 feet or whatever you needs would be.

        I've yet to finish my vacuum form machine but spent a lot of time doing research. It's only my opinion that it would be nmore effective to have the two different forming sections. I'll admit to not having done any forming yet and have no useful practical experience. But since Im ostly lurk and thought I could offer a useful opinion I could not restrain myself. :-)

        Dean

        In a message dated 11/1/2002 8:17:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Brian Chapman" <cornbeltroute@...> writes:

        >I have plans for building a large vacuum-forming machine. Seems to me
        >a negative mold would be best, since I've read that the greatest
        >detail is achieved in this way, and hull plating is a detail I've got
        >to have. Still, the hull would have to be produced in two, perhaps
        >three, parts.
        >
        >Just wondering if you might have any advice, suggestions to offer
        >about this would-be project.
        >
        >Thanks much,
        >
        >Brian
        >
        >Brian Chapman
        >Granger Roads
        >Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      • Ichthyosapien
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
          Hello brian and All...........

          I am using 00 scale - 1:76 and 1:72 for my display. I have
          already started producing figure molds. I only need 16 figures
          (the number of the Nautilus crew) but each has to be different
          so First a base set then build from these the various positions.
          But for now just getting the base is all that is important, It
          will be a year befor I actually start populating the display.

          In planning your Iowa model you might consider building the hull
          in one part and using sheet styrene sheet in 0.20 (4" in N
          scale). The Iowa is all welded steel so you would want to v-form
          hull plates to scale with the welding lines. You can use Testors
          plastic cement (pink bottle) to fix each plate section on the
          hull. Just apply cement and press in place, the plates will
          deform with the heat and pressure of your fingers to fit the
          contour of the hull.

          Negative v-form sounds right to me.

          Lee