Polishing grain in a mould

  • connectpqr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2002
      I have a question regarding the process and technology used for
      polishing the grains on the mould. Please respond back at
      connectppqr@... if you have any useful information to share in
      this regard.
      Thanks
      ***************************
      Once the mould has been made on the E.D.M.[Electric Discharge
      Machine] it has small grains on it[ The electrodes/master used to
      make the mould
      are generally made of copper]. And because of those grains there is
      no shine on the mould. If we want to have mirror finish on the mould
      then we have to get the
      mould Diamond polished/ chrome plated. In this process the grains
      are removed and we have a smooth surface, whereas we want a surface
      with grains and lot of
      shine. I want to know if there is a process thru which once the
      mould has been made on the E.D.M. we can still get lot of gloss on
      the mould/we get the mould
      Diamond polished and then again etch on the mould without affecting
      the shine. I have also heard f that there is a process in which once
      the mould is
      made on the E.D.M. it is dipped in a chemical due which its surface
      becomes glossy[The chemical coats the mould surface leaving the
      basic finish
      unaffected]. The material we generally use is P.V.C. which contains
      chloride which becomes HCL when it combines with moisture in the
      air. This is very
      harmful for the life of the mould, the surface of the mould becomes
      black if the material is not handled properly. Since our moulds are
      not very complicated we don't get them made on CNC milling
      machines. We have to first make the master/electrode with the
      designs on it and then transfer that design on the mould via an
      E.D.M. machine.