  • rocky7283
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi
      I have been watching this forum for a while and haven't found
      anything in the arcives or active on plastic injecting. Does anyone
      inject their molds. I am working on an idea of making a master
      aluminum mold that will hold silicone molds that would be quicker to
      make and be able to inject undercuts easier. I can vulcanize the mold
      and use high temp silicone. I have many molds that I cast in metal
      and the rubber stands up all right at the temp.
      Thanks
      Rocky
    • Charlie Dunton
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        I think I get what you are saying...no problem with your English.

        As far as injection material, are you talking about injecting plastic such
        as stryene, ABS or some other type? If thats the case I doubt silicon will
        work. The amount of heat and pressure required to inject molten plastic is a
        bit much for silicon.

        If you mean injecting resin, than yes there are a number of machines,
        (although pricey) that allow you to inject resin under pressure. We used one
        at my former shop for injecting material that set up way to fast to pour by
        hand. The resin was kept under pressure in 2 separate containers, mixed in
        the nozzle, and injected under pressure into the mold. We called it a "meter
        mix"

        You can see a couple here:

        http://www.bjbenterprises.com/equipment/

        There are also guys who use epoxy tooling for short run plastic injection
        molds, however I know little about this.

        Charlie