Re: Pour a Kast 3

  • John J Fleming
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 1999
      >From: "Ed Diceman" <dice1@...>
      >
      >Thanks for the input John.Sadly the demold and set up time was what I
      >was afraid of.It sounds alot like the smooth on slow cure that I was
      >sent a sample of.I was hoping for the longer pot time BUT I want the
      >fast cure of regular Mark 2.Guess I'll just have to keep searching.

      Well, if you need, you can speed up the cure time. But it does require you
      to bake your molds and cast. Run the oven up to 160 degrees, pop these
      sucker in for about an hour. Full cure.
      I don't find the cure time a real big issue. I simply adjust the way I do
      things. The one item I have that I am producing, I could make 6 per hour.
      Now, with two molds going, the Mk III, I get 4 per day. I pour two casts in
      the morning, demold when I get home from work, pour two more, demold the
      next morning, and just keep going. It works great, because it doesn't feel
      like you spent all day slaving for the work bench.
      When I bring other items on-line, it will just take me 20 minutes to pour,
      as compared to the 5 minutes right now. Then I can spend my time working on
      the masters for the next project. :-)

      Later...

      John J Fleming - John@... - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      COLD NORTH Publishing - 1349 Leaside Avenue, Unit #3 - K1Z 7R2
      Phone: (613) 748-9515 Fax: (613) 748-7955 - Eastern Standard
      ------------------- http://www.coldnorth.com -----------------
    • Miracle Castings Inc.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 1999
        Hi Ed! Have you considered Alumilite's new 7 minute set-up plastic? It has
        a faster demold time than Por-A-Kast III, but a 7 minute pot life.

        Pat

        >From: "Ed Diceman" <dice1@...>
        >
        >Thanks for the input John.Sadly the demold and set up time was what I
        >was afraid of.It sounds alot like the smooth on slow cure that I was
        >sent a sample of.I was hoping for the longer pot time BUT I want the
        >fast cure of regular Mark 2.Guess I'll just have to keep searching.
        >
        >Ed

      • Mike Bauers
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 1999
          On 04-Jan-99, Ed Diceman wrote:
          >From: "Ed Diceman" <dice1@...>

          >Pat,
          > How much faster a demold time are you talking about!I usually don't
          >really need a slow cure and I do alot of casting in 1 sitting.I've gone
          >thru 10 gallons at one shot so I can't afford to have to wait for
          >hours.Also..does alumilite still smell to high heaven?Last time I used
          >any of Alumilite's products it stunk so bad I almost barfed!

          That's interesting. I've used alumilite in about four different batches from
          them over the last 3 years. I've never noticed any real odor of any kind. What
          odor there was is extremely faint and hard to detect.

          Mike Bauers
        • Ed Diceman

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 1999
              Hi Ed! Demold time depends on the part. Thicker parts can usually be
              demolded in 10 minutes or so, while large thin walled parts may take up to
              40 minutes. I'm confused about your reference to Alumilite smelling. The
              two resins they sell now have very little smell at all. Are you sure you
              aren't referring to some other company's polyester resin product? Polyester
              resins reek to high heaven.

              Pat

              >From: "Ed Diceman" <dice1@...>
              >
              >Pat,
              > How much faster a demold time are you talking about!I usually don't
              >really need a slow cure and I do alot of casting in 1 sitting.I've gone
              >thru 10 gallons at one shot so I can't afford to have to wait for
              >hours.Also..does alumilite still smell to high heaven?Last time I used
              >any of Alumilite's products it stunk so bad I almost barfed!
              >
              >Ed
              >

              >Hi Ed! Have you considered Alumilite's new 7 minute set-up plastic? It
              >has
              >a faster demold time than Por-A-Kast III, but a 7 minute pot life.
              >
              >Pat

              >Don't forget to e-mail pat at: miracle-castings@... with photos of
              your castings for the web site. Also, please let him know who your suppliers
              are.

            • Ed Diceman
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 1999
                Hi Ed! Demold time depends on the part. Thicker parts can usually be
                demolded in 10 minutes or so, while large thin walled parts may take up
                40 minutes. I'm confused about your reference to Alumilite smelling.
                The
                two resins they sell now have very little smell at all. Are you sure you
                aren't referring to some other company's polyester resin product?
                Polyester
                resins reek to high heaven.

                Pat,
                Good deal!Most of the parts I make are thick/solid parts.Not often do
                any of my kits have thin/hollow cast parts.I can live with 10 minutes!
                As for the Aluminte smelling.I am going back about roughly 4-5 years
                ago when I was first getting into producing garage kits.I bought some
                alumilte resin from a local Pearl Paint center and when I used the stuff
                it REEKED!Now to be perfectly honest I WAS a wet behind the ears novice
                at that time and didn't really know one exposed area of my anatomy from
                another when it came to casting,but that foul encounter has never left
                me.Actually I had a buddy just last year buy some alumilite RTV at a
                hobby shop where he lives and his sculpt was destroyed because the rtv
                only cured partially on certain parts of the sculpt.As for myself I use
                Silicone's Inc GI-1000 rtv,Synair Pour a Cast mark 2 odorless white and
                polyester parafilm mold release from price driscoll in everything I
                do,from my garage kits to the work I do for TV,Movies and theme parks
                and swear by the stuff.Guess I'm too anal to try out other
                products..that's why I joined his list!Can't get enough good info
                nowadays,especially if your anal like me ;)

                Ed
              • Miracle Castings Inc.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 1999
                  Ed wrote:

                  >Pat,
                  > Good deal!Most of the parts I make are thick/solid parts.Not often do
                  >any of my kits have thin/hollow cast parts.I can live with 10 minutes!
                  > As for the Aluminte smelling.I am going back about roughly 4-5 years
                  >ago when I was first getting into producing garage kits.I bought some
                  >alumilte resin from a local Pearl Paint center and when I used the stuff
                  >it REEKED!Now to be perfectly honest I WAS a wet behind the ears novice
                  >at that time and didn't really know one exposed area of my anatomy from
                  >another when it came to casting,but that foul encounter has never left
                  >me.Actually I had a buddy just last year buy some alumilite RTV at a
                  >hobby shop where he lives and his sculpt was destroyed because the rtv
                  >only cured partially on certain parts of the sculpt.As for myself I use
                  >Silicone's Inc GI-1000 rtv,Synair Pour a Cast mark 2 odorless white and
                  >polyester parafilm mold release from price driscoll in everything I
                  >do,from my garage kits to the work I do for TV,Movies and theme parks
                  >and swear by the stuff.Guess I'm too anal to try out other
                  >products..that's why I joined his list!Can't get enough good info
                  >nowadays,especially if your anal like me ;)
                  >
                  >Ed

                  Hi Ed! That's very curious.... I wonder if someone was pulling the wool
                  over your eyes calling it Alumilite. I've used the product since 1990 or
                  so, and it's always been almost odourless. Was it a clear material? Not
                  that it really matters at this point, but I'm curious as to what you were
                  actually sold. Alumilite does sell other casting materials as well, so maybe
                  it was one of them. Also, as far as I know, Alumilite has never had their
                  own brand of RTV rubber. They're dealers for Dow Corning, and that's what
                  I've always bought from them. You're not referring to Plasticast by any
                  chance, are you? They had both resin and rubber under that name. I consider
                  Alumilite to be one of the very best urethane resins. It's highly stable
                  over time, very strong, virtually acid-proof, and easy to use. It isn't the
                  cheapest one on the market, but for applications requiring a high quality
                  product, it's tough to beat. BTW, I do not work for Alumilite, I'm just a
                  satisfied customer. As for your casts, I'm not sure how shrinkage would
                  compare between Por-A-Kast and Alumilite. Regarding your friend's problem
                  with RTV, there are several possible causes for that. Number one, never buy
                  RTV from a hobby shop, as it has a limited shelf life, and most hobby stores
                  don't move enough of it to ensure fresh product. If it's old (with some
                  brands the useful life is only 6 months) it won't set properly. Number two,
                  some glues and paints used by modellers can inhibit the setting of RTV. The
                  master should be cleaned thoroughly if possible. Number three, the product
                  could have been incompletely mixed with the catalyst, causing pockets of
                  material not to set up. Number four, it's possible that he recieved part of
                  a defective batch of rubber. I once got a 50 lb. bucket of Dow Corning M
                  RTV that was defective and had to be replaced. It can happen to any
                  manufacturer. Regards,

                  Pat
                • Ed Diceman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 1999
                    Hi Paul,
                    As I have said in my post,this was roughly 5 years ago and I did
                    buy it off a store shelf,which today I know very well is a no no.

                    P)Alumilite usually has very little smell so I'm surprised at this and I
                    really don't have an answer for it. Maybe it was old material?

                    P)The Alumilite Quick Set Ed's friend bought at the store may have just
                    been out dated.

                    E)I believe I said this too

                    P)With our slow curing resin, like Pat had said, the demold time does
                    vary depending on the size of you part. A couple drams of resin will
                    demold in a few minutes, while a couple gallons will take close to an
                    hour. This product has helped a lot of Alumilite fans that just needed
                    a little more time. Just be sure not to pull the part out of the mold
                    till it is fully cured, because it my sag if it is still flexable.

                    E)Sadly with most of the work I do fast turnover time is a must.

                    P)Sorry about your problems in the past Ed, please keep in touch if you
                    have any future problems and I will do the best I can to help out.

                    Like I had said before..I'm just a bit anal about changing the way I
                    work.I'm sure your product is very good and from the way the people
                    praise it here I'm very impressed.But unfortunately in the Gargage Kit
                    business sculptures cost a nice chunk of change,and god forbid something
                    I would wind up ordering messes up on a movie or TV set,I'd be fired on
                    the spot and lose all credibility I have.In the past year alone I have
                    used for my Garage kit business about 20 gallons of RTV and about 200
                    gallons of Resin,for the TV/MOVIE SPFX I do I've used 165 gallons of RTV
                    alone!And that was in a 4 month time frame.I guess what I'm trying to
                    say is it will take ALOT to have me change,I'm just too hard headed,no
                    knock on you or your products meant or implied in any way.

                    Ed

                    **below my original posting snipped for brevity**

                    > > As for the Aluminte smelling.I am going back about roughly 4-5
                    years
                    > >ago when I was first getting into producing garage kits.I bought some
                    > >alumilte resin from a local Pearl Paint center and when I used the
                    stuff
                    > >it REEKED!Now to be perfectly honest I WAS a wet behind the ears
                    novice
                    > >at that time and didn't really know one exposed area of my anatomy
                    from
                    > >another when it came to casting,but that foul encounter has never
                    left
                    > >me.Actually I had a buddy just last year buy some alumilite RTV at a
                    > >hobby shop where he lives and his sculpt was destroyed because the
                    rtv
                    > >only cured partially on certain parts of the sculpt.
                  • Alumilite
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 5, 1999
                      I want to first thank Pat , Mike, and every Alumilite customer on the cast list for continuing to support Alumilite for all these years.

                      Alumilite usually has very little smell so I'm surprised at this and I really don't have an answer for it. Maybe it was old material?

                      All of our silcone does comes from Dow Corning. The Alumilie Quick Set RTV is Dow Coring 3110 packaged with a catalyst that we actually manufacture ourselves. This is why our rubber sets up in only 4 hours as compaired to 24 hours. The thing about all of Dow Corning's rubber that is a problem, is that it all has a shelf life of about a year. The Alumilite Quick Set Ed's friend bought at the store may have just been out dated. We do pride ourselves on customer service, so please call us if any of our products don't seem to be working for you (our phone # is on every item we sell).

                      With our slow curing resin, like Pat had said, the demold time does vary depending on the size of you part. A couple drams of resin will demold in a few minutes, while a couple gallons will take close to an hour. This product has helped a lot of Alumilite fans that just needed a little more time. Just be sure not to pull the part out of the mold till it is fully cured, because it my sag if it is still flexable.

                      Sorry about your problems in the past Ed, please keep in touch if you have any future problems and I will do the best I can to help out.

                      Paul Inman
                      *Alumilite*