Re: [casting] need advice

  • greytrainz
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1 12:52 AM
      hi Jarrod
      i live on the west coast of the south island if that helps you any. i have a supplier in Auckland that could be of help. where do you reside.
      yours in casting
      Graham
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1 4:15 AM
        Hi Graham,
        I'm in the Waikato at the moment. Do you have contact details for
        your supplier? Are they good to deal with?
        Thanks
        Jarrod
        --- In casting@y..., "greytrainz" <greytrainz@x> wrote:
        > hi Jarrod
        > i live on the west coast of the south island if that helps you
        any. i have a supplier in Auckland that could be of help. where do
        you reside.
        > yours in casting
        > Graham

        Service.

      • greytrainz
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1 4:33 PM
          hi Jarrod
          TopMark Products is the place that i use.
          email
          sales@...
          i sugest that you bye there molding/casting kit for about $76 it has everything in it to learn how to cast.
          yours in casting
          Graham

        • Scott Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1 4:50 PM
            Say, I just placed an order with Smooth-On for more of their Evergreen 20
            pourable urethane and ordered a gallon of mold release to go with it (I
            found I burn through the little 4 oz bottles in their sampler in fairly
            short order). I just received an e-mail that there is a $20 charge tacked
            on by UPS for the mold release as "hazardous material" which nearly doubles
            the price.

            A couple questions come to mind:

            1) Just how hazardous can this stuff be?

            2) Does anyone have an alternative to suggest that I could purchase locally
            (I'm in the Seattle area--moderately large metro area)? I appreciate how
            well the Smooth-On Universal Release, but if there's a good alternative I'm
            all ears. That said, if the Universal Release is really the best bet I
            guess I'm stuck.

            Thanks,

            Scottrik
          • Doug McClure
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2 6:57 AM
              >Say, I just placed an order with Smooth-On for more of their Evergreen 20
              >pourable urethane and ordered a gallon of mold release to go with it (I
              >found I burn through the little 4 oz bottles in their sampler in fairly
              >short order). I just received an e-mail that there is a $20 charge tacked
              >on by UPS for the mold release as "hazardous material" which nearly doubles
              >the price.
              >
              >A couple questions come to mind:
              >
              >1) Just how hazardous can this stuff be?

              Well being that that's my job ( Hazmat Supervisor) let me try to explain.
              We sell some stuff that is classified Corrosive material. Now if you get it
              on you, you MAY develop a rash, but it wont' eat your hand off. We still
              have to pay the $20 ( up from $17) Hazard Fee ( BTW Fed EX is , or was $61).
              My suggestion is either buy a lot of the small bottles or one large one.
              There is only going to be 1 charge per box and you can get up to 60 lbs. per
              box legally

              >2) Does anyone have an alternative to suggest that I could purchase locally
              >(I'm in the Seattle area--moderately large metro area)? I appreciate how
              >well the Smooth-On Universal Release, but if there's a good alternative I'm
              >all ears. That said, if the Universal Release is really the best bet I
              >guess I'm stuck.

              Just remember if it is something considered a hazardous material, no matter
              how slight, your vendor, somewhere along the line is going to have to pay a
              hazard charge and will probably pass that cost along either directly or
              indirectly
            • Doug McClure
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2 7:05 AM
                >Say, I just placed an order with Smooth-On for more of their Evergreen 20
                >pourable urethane and ordered a gallon of mold release to go with it (I
                >found I burn through the little 4 oz bottles in their sampler in fairly
                >short order). I just received an e-mail that there is a $20 charge tacked
                >on by UPS for the mold release as "hazardous material" which nearly doubles
                >the price.

                Just reread your post. Here's an alternative. Don't buy a gallon. In many
                instances items are hazardous only if they are above a certain capacity. A
                gallon generally puts it above capacity
              • jmcshaneau
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2 2:54 PM
                  Thanks Graham
                  I've been in youch with TopMark and they are sending out a catalogue.
                  Appreciate the help.
                  Jarrod
                  --- In casting@y..., "greytrainz" <greytrainz@x> wrote:
                  > hi Jarrod
                  > TopMark Products is the place that i use.
                  > email
                  > sales@t...
                  > i sugest that you bye there molding/casting kit for about $76 it
                  has everything in it to learn how to cast.
                  > yours in casting
                  > Graham

                • Scott Smith
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2 3:33 PM
                    At 10:05 AM 3/2/02 -0500, Doug wrote:

                    >Just reread your post. Here's an alternative. Don't buy a gallon. In many
                    >instances items are hazardous only if they are above a certain capacity. A
                    >gallon generally puts it above capacity

                    Many thanks for the info on your previous post. As far as buying a bunch of
                    the small bottles, at $5 per 4oz bottle it pretty quickly adds up to more
                    than the gallon (132 oz for $48 inc. hazmat fee). Looks like those sly
                    devils at Smooth-On (just kidding--they've been most helpful to me!!) have
                    done caught onto that pontential dodge. Actually, it's probably the cost of
                    those 32 four ounce aerosol bottles catching up versus the gallon jug.

                    Scottrik
                  • driggars
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3 4:01 PM
                      Thanks
                      This contraption I have most of the stuff for already, except I have 6" pvc,
                      that I used to make some special tanks to plate some weird shaped parts.
                      Clint

                      > > I'm new to the moulding and casting scene. I'm a fisherman from New
                      > > Zealand and would like to start casting my own lures from resin.
                      >
                      > For fishing lures, try:
                      > http://www.alumilite.com/default.cfm?Action=view&ID=12
                      >
                      > ... and these for general info on casting:
                      > List archives:
                      > More:
                      > http://www.alumilite.com/howto.cfm
                      > http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html