Re: [case-based-reasoning] question-help me please!

  • Michael Richter
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
      Dear Nina,
      the term expert system was popular in the 1980ies. There was no definition but it was understood as a program in a declarative programming language or at least in a declarative programming style. In particular, the knowledge was not incorportated implicitly in an algorithm but explicitly in a knowledge base. Many expert systems where rule based. Later on this was extended, e.g. to interactive systems where the program was a partner to humans. Also, the name changed to knowledge based system.
      Initially, these systems borrowed there philosophy from logical systems.: Clear input the result was a logical con sequence of the input.
      Later on one was interested in approximative solutions of problems. They are not absolutely true but more or less useful. This was measured by similarity measures. It occurs in particular when using solution from previous experiences (called cases). The techniques have been generalized to more "similarity based systems". Here also techniques from cognitive science have been employed.
      You can find more stuff on my web page.
      Michael M Richter

      > Dear all,
      >
      > I would like to know what is the difference between "case-based reasoning" and "expert system"? Could you help me plz?
      > If you have any documents ou papers about that, I'am interested in.
      > Thank you in advance
      >
      > Nina

    • Belen Diaz Agudo
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
        News from the jCOLIBRI Team

        <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgaia%2Efdi%2Eucm%2Ees%2Fg
        rupo%2Fprojects%2Fjcolibri%2F&urlhash=jjBF&_t=disc_detail_link>
        http://gaia.fdi.ucm.es/grupo/projects/jcolibri/

        November 2008 - 5000 Downloads Anniversary
        Thank you to all jCOLIBRI users and contributors. Last month we have reached
        5.000 downloads from SourceForge and our web site is visited from more than
        70 different countries.

        November 2008 - UKIERI-CBRutils contribution released
        The UKIERI-CBR utils contribution has been developed by: The Robert Gordon
        University & Indian Institute of Technology Madras. It contains methods to
        help in indexing, retrieval, maintenance, and evaluation of CBR systems.
        More info in
        <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgaia%2Efdi%2Eucm%2Ees%2Fg
        rupo%2Fprojects%2Fjcolibri%2Fjcolibri2%2Fcontributions%2Ehtml&urlhash=fMIF&_
        t=disc_detail_link>
        http://gaia.fdi.ucm.es/grupo/projects/jcolibri/jcolibri2/contributions.html

        Regards.

        jCOLIBRI Team.