RE: [cascadeqrp] Anyone Interested in a Club Build?

  • Richard Booth
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009

      Sounds good to me!  Can we order any band we want or ?

      Dick W7VPV

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        Phil

        I don't need another QRP rig now that I have the Yaesu Ft-817ND...but I would
        like to participate to continue increasing my kit building skills.

        Keep me on the list.Calendar will be the issue for me. Let me know if Cedar
        Hills Church might be needed.

        Everett W6ABM

        On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM, PHIL WESTOVER <492commish@...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > Here's another chance to participate in a build session.  This wouldn't be
        > for just Cascade QRP members, but anyone who has an interest in kit building
        > could participate.
        >
        > We'll work out details for a place to meet, organizing extra soldering
        > stations and tools for those who may need them.
        >
        > I'm thinking that this kit might be a good choice:
        >
        > http://www.qrpkits.com/dcxxb.html
        >
        > This kit is $50, including a very nice case.  It's "rock bound" (just like
        > "the Good Ole Days") and may provide an operating challenge for those who
        > haven't had a rock bound experience before!
        >
        > With respect to W7ZOI, I would still like to come up with some sort of
        > homebrew project, but for now, those who haven't had much experience with
        > kit building can get their hands on a soldering iron; those with kit
        > building experience can gain from the group just hanging out together.
        >
        > Any takers?  Any other suggestions for projects?
        >
        > 73,
        > Phil Westover, WA7URV

      • Dave Haupt
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
          How does a "club build" work? Do we all get a kit, flail away at assembly at home and collaborate to fix them, or what?

          I'm all for anything that'll get guys melting solder and learning how radios work, but I really don't know how a "group build" works.

          The kit you pointed out looks like a good one. Steve Weber does some very creative stuff, and I think a transceiver is a better choice than just an RX or TX.

          73,

          Dave

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
            I am definitely interested (I would be more interested doing a homebrew something but...).  As an aside I have been thinking of the MMR040 (SSB/CW) or the BitX20 (SSB) but those are certainly more than an afternoon project.

            Ed
          • PHIL WESTOVER
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
              Several of you have responded;  I appreciate that!

              Here's my responses:
              1. To Dean, what is a "sudden receiver?"
              2. To Dick W7VPV, absolutely a guy could order the band he wants.
              3. To Everett W6ABM, you can never have too many radios!  And once we get a date figured out, I would love to use the church again if that's possible.  One other idea, Everett:  Is there a way for me to publicize this soon through OTVARC?
              4. To Dave, W8NF:  The way it works is that each of us order a kit within a reasonable time frame to fit with a date in the not-so-distant future where we all get together with tools, etc., and work through the project as a group.  We try to make sure everyone is successful, including helping with soldering skills, winding toroids (which I think is something everyone should try at least once!), component identification, etc.  It's kind of ham radio's version of a "quilting bee."  (Will I get shot for writing that?)  Anyway, it's a lot of fun.
              5. To JR, K7GFH, we would love to have you join us!
              I think that covers everyone who has responded so far.  We'll keep talking this for awhile, including at the breakfast this Saturday.

              I'll get back to you all soon!

              - 73,