Breakfast This Saturday, EAST Side!!

  • PHIL WESTOVER
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
      Announcing:

      CASCADE QRP CLUB BREAKFAST   --        September 13th:  EAST SIDE

      Starts around 9:00 a.m. (but some show up a little earlier!)

      We call this a club, but there are NO DUES, NO ROSTER, NO RULES, NO CLUB
      OFFICERS!  This is simply a group of people who love amateur radio and love
      to talk about it!  Most of us enjoy QRP (low power), but because there are
      no rules, it doesn't matter what you enjoy about ham radio!  In fact, you
      don't even need to be a ham radio operator to join us at breakfast!  (We can
      help you get started!)  Just show up and have a great breakfast with some
      great company!

      FUTURE BREAKFAST MEETINGS AND LOCATIONS

      Both east and west side locations are Home Town Buffet (formerly Old Country
      Buffet).  Plug either of these into Mapquest for good directions:

      EAST SIDE:  10542-A SE Washington Street, Portland 97216-2809 (105th and SE
      Washington)
      WEST SIDE:  13500 SW Pacific Highway, Tigard  97213-4804

      2008

          October 11: WEST SIDE
          November 8: WEST SIDE
          December 13:  WEST SIDE

      2009

          January 10:  EAST SIDE
          February 14:  EAST SIDE
          March 14:  EAST SIDE

      Phil, WA7URV
      Daytime (weekdays):  503-537-2719
      Evenings and weekends:  503-625-7323    email:
      492commish@...
    • Huston Gruen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
        Phil,
        Has anybody concidered a Pie and Coffee evening meeting during the week like the guys up north do?  It seems the second Saturday of every month is really loaded in meetings for me.  I would like to attend, but two or three meetings in one day is more than I can handle!!  Do any of the locals monitor the pQRP group on 3551 on Monday evening at 7:00 PM? My code speed is still too slow but I can hear most of them each time.

        Huston Gruen K7ITA
        Vancouver, Wash.

[...]

        492commish@comcast. net

      • w8nf
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
          --- In cascadeqrp@yahoogroups.com, Huston Gruen <hgruen1@...> wrote:

          > Phil,
          > Has anybody concidered a Pie and Coffee evening meeting during the
          week like the guys up north do? It seems the second Saturday of every
          month is really loaded in meetings for me. I would like to attend,
          but two or three meetings in one day is more than I can handle!! Do
          any of the locals monitor the pQRP group on 3551 on Monday evening at
          7:00 PM? My code speed is still too slow but I can hear most of them
          each time.

          > Huston Gruen K7ITA
          > Vancouver, Wash.

          Huston,

          Funny you bring this up. NT7S and I were unaware of the Cascade
          group, so we proposed a "Portland area" P&C right on the pQRP
          Yahoogroup. We were told that there was a Portland group, but neither
          of us found any links or a webpage, so we proceeded to "hold" our own
          breakfast. It's documented in text and photos on
          http://www.nt7s.com/blog/2008/07/inaugural-pqrp-portland-eggs-coffee/
          a typical QRP gathering, we scattered half-built PC boards on the
          restaurant table, pored over schematics, shared our experiences using
          circuit analysis software, etc. But it's not a regular gig, and we
          certainly did not want to "replace" any existing QRP/homebrew focused
          gathering.

          Like you, I would actually find evening meetings during the week more
          amenable to my schedule. I try to reserve weekends for those projects
          needing long periods of focused attention. With tomorrow's meeting
          being on the east side, I probably won't make it, but I do try (when I
          remember about them) to make the west side breakfasts.

          The Monday night pQRP net is usually reachable from here in PDX. I've
          checked in a few times...just plumb forgot last Monday, as I got
          involved in working on the sheetrock for our remodel. It's best to
          have QRO available; propagation lately has brought in unintentional
          QRM from Texas and Wisconsin traffic nets, who seem to not hear us.
          It can be quite a fun net when Wayne NB6M is working 1W from his
          sailboat in the bay and tells us what he's experienced that day.

          Since the pQRP net generally has 6-8 checkins, probably the thing to
          do for now is just join their net. Send slow; the guys promise to
          slow down if someone needs them to do so.

          Also, NT7S and I are talking about heading up to Bothell some time
          when they hold their P&C meets. A three hour drive for a ham radio
          club meeting? But when folks like NB6M and KK7P in the group, it
          would be anything but an ordinary meeting.

          73,

          Dave W8NF
          Far flung west Hillsboro
        • Huston Gruen
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
            Dave,
            I've been to one of their P&C meetings and it was a great experience! Very worthwhile.  Sounds like we need to think about a carpool to Bothel!!  I'll have to get brave and try to check into the Monday nite session.  I just opened up my ATS-3B kit and am thinking about starting it. Lots of tiny pieces!!!

            Huston K7ITA