Radio Contesting vs Fishing

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
      Art/Vance/Lew/ QRP group - Using fishing as an analogy, in contesting, a KW is like buying a fish market.  100 watts is like buying fish at that market, get 100 fish and go home to the freezer.  QRP is like fishing.  You can sit in that boat all day, maybe get 15 small fish, maybe a couple of big ones, and once a year or so, one that tows the boat.

      With 100 watts, I get 150-200 contacts in two days.  I am at seven now on day two, with 5 watts, my $20 Nor Cal swap radio. Alaska and Hawaii are my bigger fish, along with some Midwest contacts, and one, a record close, up on the hill Beaverton way. - Mr Bob KN, or in today's mode,   - . -     - .
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2013
        Phil n the group - Does anyone know a good source for silver mica caps.  I am looking for a 180pF and a 1,000pF, 500v or so.  Seems most places are out of them, especially the 180pF.  I purchased the Ramsey 20m 20 watt amp for build day and am buying some other parts, advice from forums, as it is a sketchy kit to say the least!!

        Look forward to build day.  Is it still on the books for Feb 16th?  The Salem Ham Fair might be that day, but build day is priority one for me!!  - Mr Bob
      • wa7urv
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2013

          My favorite source for silver micas and other caps, especially for the old gear (but not exclusively for old gear....)

          http://www.justradios.com/

          73,

          Phil  WA7URV

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 25, 2013
            Phil - Most excellent.  I made the order.  I like the method and will now be ready for build day with that sketchy Ramsey amp kit.  Still trying to get the Texas Topper to give me more than 2.3 watts out for 2 watts in.  Ordered a better FET for 20 meters.  Goal is to get 2 watts out with the Rock Mite. - Mr Bob