Re: [cascadeqrp] FT897 Strange Thing..

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2012
      Dave - That might be it. I will look into that concept.  I am surprised it would not have been programmed to only do that in "USER UPPER/LOWER SIDEBAND", in the digital choices, as it is called with the 817 and 897.  But it could be it applies in regular old USB LSB too.  - Mr Bob

      From: Bob C. and/or Pamela D. <pambob73@...>
      To: "cascadeqrp@yahoogroups.com" <cascadeqrp@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 5:41 PM

      Dave - I had an 817 first, same thing.  The 897 has two slots, I have the 500hz in one and the other is empty, so shows as N/A,  The strange thing with the 897 is that their is a TRANSMIT menu item that will put the 500hz filter on xmit, and you see it go on, even in SSB.   Thus folks were telling me that my voice seemed "narrow" or hollow.  Once I turned off the 500, my voice made folks happy with 5/9ers.   I just wondered why a rig would filter an SSB going out !! - Mr Bob

      From: Bob C. and/or Pamela D. <pambob73@...>
      Subject: [cascadeqrp] FT897 Strange Thing..
      To: "Art Home" <fraser8028@...>, "Vance Johnson" <vhjohnson@...>, "QRP Club" <cascadeqrp@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 11:11 AM

      Art/Vance/QRPers - I found out a strange thing quite by accident.  The 500hz CW filter, when turned on via one menu, narrows the OUTPUT too.  I was contesting on SSB, getting NO contacts at all.  I finally got one and the guy said my signal was "narrow", hard to understand.  He never could get my call.

      I had the filter on CFIL (2.4khz ceramic) on receive, but when I transmitted, I noticed the display said 500hz.  On one menu it just changes the receive, but on another menu, it changes the transmit, so I when that was changed, it would go to CFIL on transmit and SSB worked fine and I made three contacts in no time.

      What I do not get is why the CW filter would be used on transmit at all.  I looked up the menu in the manual and it says "TX IF filter", CFIL, 500hz, N/A (as that slot is empty).  I knew these applied to receive, but xmit, why would a rig have a CW filter on the output, that even was ON when on SSB ??

      Mr Bob