Memorial Day CW WPX....

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2012
      Dave n All - I worked a bunch of new countries during the Memorial day CW WPX contest.  Now my "fifty years as a ham" is a bit of an exaggeration.  I was licensed in 1957, but was off the air between 1965 and 1985, and not seriously back until 2010, but it was quite a weekend, as nine out of ten times I searched and pounced a CQ, they came back.  I was in the tent an hour, out with the family an hour, back in, never really "putting out" for a long time.  Saturday was the best, Sunday very good if one did not consider Saturday.  Memorial day weekend treated me good !!

      I set some personal records, 150 contacts, the last one with 15 seconds to go in maybe five or six hours max over the weekend.  I contacted 23 countries, and 34 states.  Most with the an inv vee, 18 feet at center and 12 feet at ends.  All from a camp site at my son's tough shed cabin above Goldendale.  We had no power or water, so I was using a 30a/h battery with the IC735.

      I got my first test of the buddy pole at 100 watts on Sunday.  I had no luck in HI with 4 watts a few weeks earlier, but with 100 watts, worked 34 contacts with 19 states and Canada in three hours.

      My experiment over about three hours was to call a station 3 times with the Buddistick, then if I failed, I switched to dipole and tried three more calls.  On many, neither antenna got a return call, but there were 34 with the Buddi, and only 3 with the dipole when the Buddi failed.  So it did well.

      New countries, Croatia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Austria, Serbia, Sweden, Finland, Poland, first Russia contact deep in, near Moscow.  That was fun fun fun.   73 - Mr Bob KM7Q