Fry's Electronics

  • w8nf
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Fry's. I do not remember a restaurant inside the store, but I haven't been there so often, either.

      The kinds of things that get discussed on the largest QRP lists (two named QRP-L, one on its own server, the other a Yahoo Group) are largely represented at Fry's. PIC experiment boards. Netbooks, as one might use for controlling a homebrew radio or logging while on a hike/radio expedition. Soldering gear and other tools. Parts in reasonable decent variety (not as varied as Norvac, but heavily focused on the experimenter).

      If Fry's does have a restaurant inside, then if we do meet there, then the other clientele will have something in common with us - an interest in electronics. We don't get that at Hometown Buffet.

      So, we might attract more interest in our group, particularly if we wear ham callsign hats.

      If Fry's does not have a restaurant, then perhaps there's a place there in its shopping center. After a breakfast gathering, we could go, as a group, to Fry's, again wearing the callsign hats, and perhaps attract attention of other hobbyists. Then we can explain the "one month east side, one month westside" gathering of the homebrew/QRP/outdoor operator group.

      Hmmmm, indeed!!!!

      Dave W8NF