Re: [cascadeqrp] Seeking Advice on VHF Hand Held

  • Gary Lippert
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2011
      Hi Bob,

      If you want low cost and a good radio it is the Wouxun KG-UV3D.   They sell for about $120 at Ham Radio Outlet and operate on the 2M and 70CM bands.   The instruction manual could use some improvement but covers all the basic information.   With a cable (costs extra - about $20) you can download the FREE program on the web to program the rig.   I have heard good reports from other people who have purchased the handheld.

      Gary, K7VBY

      On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Bob C. and/or Pamela D. <pambob73@...> wrote:

      Hello, Bob KM7Q here with a question.  I am studying ARES classes and getting ready to do volunteer work.  I did work the Race for the Cure with my Yaesu FT 817, but being new to VHF, I am now looking for a handheld, smaller, better battery life than the 817 for volunteer work.

      What I would like is some advice on what hand held to get, one that is as simple as possible, but not so much so that I will want to upgrade later.  Below is advice from one column, recommending the Yaesu FT 270R 2m rig, or the Yaesu FT 60R dual band rig, both simple, basic, but the author says all you need for ARES.  Any advice would be appreciated !!

      Artical below.  TNX Bob KM7Q
      I received an e-mail from a new ham today, asking for advice on what to purchase as a first radio..

      Here are the criteria I used in selecting a radio to recommend.
      Key issues:
      • Low cost — The economy is bad and many people are buying a radio primarily to use in their ARES, CERT or other volunteer activities. They don’t want to spend a lot of money and would probably skip the purchase if the price seemed high.
      • Ease-of-operation — This is really important as many of these radios won’t get a tremendous amount of use until they are needed for an ARES or CERT response. Fewer buttons and “power user” features are a win.
      • Survivability — The radio needs to be tough and submersible is a plus. Bad things often happen on rainy days, it seems.
      • Low cost — This is important enough that I mention it twice.
      • Easy programmability — Yaesu doesn’t give away software. But, the RT Systems-developed software they sell, especially the new Version 4, is nice work and makes it easy for me to move my programming files between various Yaesu radios.
      • Standardization — It is a huge help to have our members mostly using a single type of radio, all programmed the same (above channel 20 as we make the lower channels “user option”). During an incident, time for technical hand-holding is at a premium. Fewer different radios in the hands of inexperienced users is a win.
      • Power — The radio must be capable of operating at full-power from a AA-battery pack. This was a deal-killer for many radios I considered. Including all the tiny, cute ones that I’ve tried.

      Yaesu FT-270R: Our talkie of choice

      Selling in the $130 range, the Yaesu FT-270R is a rugged, submersible radio that can be fully-powered from a 6-AA battery pack. We recommend that every new ham purchase at least the radio and the AA-pack (or, better two so one says in the glove compartment). A mag-mount mobile antenna, a speaker/mic, and a longer gain antenna as an alternative to the supplied antenna round out our recommended kit.
      Total purchase price is $170 to about $250 at our preferred dealer, Ham Radio Outlet in Oakland (ask for Mark, the store manager). The FT-270R is the replacement for the discontinued VX-170R, which we previously recommended.
      We have some users, however, who want a dual-band radio, primarily for scanner listening. That is going to change soon as our county moves all UHF public safety to P25 digital. But, if you live South of us — where 70cm becomes useful again — or travel, a dual-band radio is a valid choice.

      Yaesu FT-60R: Our dual-band option

      For these users, we recommend the Yaesu FT-60R. It is a dual-band radio that costs about $50 more than the FT-270R. There is only one VFO, so the radio tunes easily. It also uses the same accessories — including the FBA-25A AA-battery case — as the FT-270R. It is not submersible, but I believe there is a “water-resistant” claim.
      I don’t own one of these radios, but the people who have purchased them like them very much. I have, however, purchased the programming software as the two radios both use the same programming cable.

      Accessories

      Besides the AA battery case, we recommend a small “Hershey Kiss” magnetic mount antenna. (It’s named for the size and shape of the small magnet).
      These are not especially rugged, but are inexpensive and absolutely necessary for anything like solid repeater coverage here running only 5-watts.
      The small mag mount can also be taken inside and used on a metal surface, such as a filing cabinet or cookie sheet, to help get a signal out of the building.
      Yaesu sells an expensive, submersible speaker/mic that is too large and seems to muffle the mic audio. We recommend the less-expensive “standard” speaker/mic as an alternative. It features an earphone jack on the mic. The earphone is recommended, but many people don’t buy them or can’t find them when they would like to use one to keep noise (and prying ears) to a minimum.
      Some people purchase a cigarette lighter power adapter. I’d rather see that money invested in a mobile radio.

      Not just for beginners

      In recommending the FT-270R, I don’t want you to think I am dumbing-down the choice for our new hams’ benefit. I own a whole bunch of radios — include VX-8, VX-7, VX-5, etc. — but find them all too hard to use. OK, the VX-8 is pretty easy, but it doesn’t fully power from a AA pack.
      Indeed, the FT-270R is the talkie you are most likely to find me using, too. It’s a great radio, at a price that won’t break me if the radio disappears.

      --
      Gary, K7VBY

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2012
        Hello Group - I wanted to know how folks like, or what they have heard about the Buddistik.  I am taking my KX-1 to Hawaii next month.  I have an endfedz for 20 and 10 meters, but wonder if folks have fooled on those two bands with the Buddistik, as it would be easier to set up on a hotel railing that an endfedz.  Does the counterpoise work if one is up two floors, or does it have to be a few feet from ground ??

        If anyone has experience, opinions about that option, or others, let me know.  Also, if taking the endfedz, how is TSA with folks taking coils of wire in carry on luggage??   They might see that as a bit "sketchy" to use the kids terms. - Mr Bob
      • 492commish@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2012

          No experience or opinion here!  As a mentor friend of mine says, "Hook it up, try matching it up, see how it radiates."

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2012
            Phil - I guess that is a true story.  I have heard it said that antenna stories get as close to religion as ham radio can, stories of miracles, radiating around the world, using a soup can on 160 meters.

            RTTY contest a bit slow this morning, better last eve.  Hope it opens soon, or I will be asleep at the switch.

            Got my MFJ Cub an Texas Topper for build day, looking forward to that.  Mr Bob KM7Q

            No experience or opinion here!  As a mentor friend of mine says, "Hook it up, try matching it up, see how it radiates."