Working From the Roof Top

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2011
    Yo - The other night our local ham club had a contest, who could make the most contacts on high frequency "line of sight" radio.  The high frequencies only need very small whip antennas, so are great for portable operation, but unlike short wave, they do not go very far, thus "line of sight".  So I go on the air and get ONE contact, a guy on the top of the West Hills, WA7KGX.  He is telling me that he is getting eight others on the other side of the West Hills and that I should jump in my car and drive to the top.

    So I told him, "Hey, I will get on my roof" and went off the air, got a ladder and did just that.  Returning to the air, he at first thought I was joking, but did say my signal was a bit better.  It was so funny, he was asking those on the other side if they could here the "NoPo" dude on his roof.   They didn't, so it was a one contact night for me, but a fun one.  I told him the sunset looked great up there and I might just stay up there and make attempts into the night.  I didn't !!

    Next day, Art took these photos, attached, so I could make the other operator a custom "QSL"- post card we hams exchange.  Too fun !!!   - Mr Bob  KM7Q