W7ZOI 20dB, 20 watt attenuator

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
      In the "Files" section of our YahooGroups site, I've created a folder for a little experiment I did. I needed an attenuator that could handle QRP power; I will be using it on my oscilloscope and other test gear.

      After a bit of research, I found what I was looking for in a 1998 QST. Lo and behold, it was associated with an article by Wes Hayward, W7ZOI (a member of this YahooGroup).

      So, in the spirit of W7ZOI, I decided to try a new method for making a PCB. I did my own version of Wes' schematic and also did an illustration in Power Point of how a PCB would be laid out. That's what the .pdf document is.

      I loaded a board into an X-Y vise as level as I could, dropped down a Dremel bit that chucked in my drill press, and proceeded to "cut" some voids in the board. This was especially tricky because I used a fairly thin board. But it worked and the circuit does what I want it to do. You can see my ugly work in the photo.

      Later, I'll add a photo of the board mounted in a chassis box, likely with a bypass switch.

      It sure is great to be on vacation with time to do this stuff!

    • Dave Haupt
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
        Now THAT is creative - you made your own mill for milling PC boards. I love postings like this. I'd never heard of a XY vice before and now I know that I need one!

        Very tidy work you do. I fear my hand skills stink, so when I make things, they might work, but ugly takes on a completely different meaning.

        Dave W8NF