PARC Field Day

  • bicyclesinfocus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2010
      Is the PARC field day still at Kelly Butte? I may not be going to the right web site, and want to find out if that is indeed, the place. I look forward to visiting field days about the metro area to take photos and catch up on the hobby after a 45 year absence from being on the air.
    • Fred Winter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2010
        Portland Amateur Radio Club ARRL Field Day starts Friday, June 25th 2010
        with antenna and site work at Kelly Butte Park, in SE Portland. Our regular
        monthly meeting will be held at the Field Day site that night again this year,
        but will be informal and brief to allow an early start Saturday the 26th. Target
        time Friday for line launching is 1400 hrs (2 PM PDST). Brief "meeting" will be
        at 6:00 PM. If there is unfinished line work we will just continue.
        We will try to monitor the 146.84 repeater, call W7LT.

        We will NOT meet at One Liberty Centre, our regular location.

        The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) "Field Day" is a national 24 hour
        field communications exercise to demonstrate the ability of amateur radio
        operators to communicate in case of emergencies under adverse conditions.
        During the 2007 winter storm here in Oregon, Amateur Radio came to the
        rescue for the communities isolated from the rest of the world, such as
        Vernonia, Astoria, Seaside and Cannon Beach. Amateur operators provided
        around the clock assistance as needed. PARC's VHF repeater was used
        extensively linked to the coastal communities via remote base.

        Operating begins Saturday, June 26th at 1100 hours (11AM PDST), and ends
        24 hours later. Our callsign will be W7LT as usual. CW, Phone and Digital
        stations will be needed.
        If you are interested in helping with setup, teardown, equipment, food,
        and/or operating, please let us know, as we always need many hands to
        make it a success every year. Last year we were first in our class (4A
        Battery) running 5 watts output maximum. Operators with equipment are
        also needed again this year, both for CW and phone, HF, VHF UHF.
        We are planning to be back at Kelly Butte Park again this year. South on
        103rd from SE Division Street (about 5 blocks east of I205). Our potluck
        dinner on Saturday evening will begin about 1700 hours, (5:00 PM PDST).
        To get on the list or for inquiries please contact Pete W7PR at
        W7PR@..., or call 503-771-1773 and leave a message. Hope to see
        many of you there this year! Visitors and guests are always welcome!!
        W7LT
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2010
          Based on a quick study on the web, I'd say "Yes", they are having FD at Kelly Butte.

          Primary evidence: They submitted a log to the ARRL last year, indicating they made 292 QSOs in class 4A, running 5watts. 4A and 5 watts coincides with the latest comments about FD on their website, which were posted about five years ago, so probably it's the same core group of guys doing what they enjoy year after year. And that can make for a very cozy and pleasant FD.

          One way to attempt to confirm would be to try to raise one of the members on the 146.84 repeater.

          Or, this page on their website gives phone numbers for club contacts you might ask:

          http://www.w7lt.org/CLUBA.HTM

          HTH

          73, Dave W8NF