Re: Field Day 2010

  • w8nf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2010
      Pictures tell a thousand words.

      I have uploaded a photo from last year's (2009) Field Day at L.L.Stub Stewart State Park, put on by the Oregon Tualatin Valley Amateur Radio Club (OTVARC), running the callsign W7OTV. Go to the Yahoogroup's "photos" section...there's only one folder, and one photo in it. The photo is taken from the south, looking north. CW tent on the far left, VHF/UHF tent on the far right, up on the hill. Too many antennas in between (part of FD is learning - we learned - no more single-band HF antennas, they're a waste...they take up lots of space with little benefit...and no more vertically-polarized antennas for a domestic operating event). Note the cluster of people on the right - we have a socializing tent, which should be imperative for a group effort...allows people a place to gather and yack, without disturbing the radio operators while the ops try to make QSOs and train newcomers.

      Field Day can be many things. As an emergency preparedness exercise, it should show that you (the collective, community "you") know how to quickly erect an effective communications station. All exercises have a test, and that's the contest part of Field Day - did you really put up an *effective* station, using *effective* operators? The contest score is only that - your way of showing *to your own group* that you knew what you were doing and really could do it in an emergency. The "operator skill" part of Field Day is taking people who only do one thing, and getting them to try something else. Like taking the "I'm not a contester" guy and getting him to try out computer-sent CW, and going for rate for a change. That's what learning is - getting outside of your own comfort zone. For me, the learning of FD the past few years has been about operating SSB - having been a nearly 100% CW op over the years, it was a bit of a leap to get me sitting in a chair with a microphone, going for rate instead of avoiding it.

      And, FD can also be a major club social event, a picnic, a camp-out, a way of experimenting with antennas, modes, etc.

      In order to be all things, an FD group needs to be large...and OTVARC's most certainly is. Last year we had 144 people sign into the guest log, placing us 4th place nationwide. No other club in the northwest exceeded 50.

      That's why we were able to have two digital modes, two CW stations, two SSB stations (shared with digital in one case), 50/144/432MHz, a fully-staffed 4A operation and catered food. Everybody got out of FD what they wanted...unless what they really wanted was a one-man campout with a bit of radio attached. That's fun too, I've done it, and I'll do it again. But for now, I'm enjoying going out with a team that's hugely about enhancing the operators' abilities.

      This year, I'm told, we'll be adding a satellite station, just to add more to the mix.

      So, there's probably the biggest FD in the area with the most variety. For some, it's too much...but it's a good heavy dose of lots of ham radio in one weekend, if that's what you want.

      One of the ham radio clubs does a primarily QRP Field Day, other clubs choose a site with a great view...you should probably contact each group to ask what makes their FD special and what they emphasize - points, party, food, or campout.

      No matter which group you choose, if they publicize it on the web, they'll definitely welcome you.

      73,

      Dave W8NF