John Jacob and Martha Carswell

  • joncarswell
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
      Ellen and all Carswells,

      I have been doing some research for any leads on John Jacob Carswell.
      I was searching on Familysearch.org and did a search for his sister
      Martha. I came across an entry for a Martha Carswell born about 1834
      in Morganton, Burke, NC. My records indicate that John Jacob was also
      born in Burke, NC about 1823. It shows that Martha's parents are John
      Carswell born in 1803 in Morganton, burker, NC and Jane Houck born
      about 1806 in Morganton, Burke, NC. Do you think that this Martha is
      the sister of John Jacob? let me know all of your thoughts. Thanks
      for lending an ear!!

      Jon Carswell
      Montgomery, TX
    • emparson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
        I hope so. Did you find a marriage record for her? John Jacob's
        sister married a Fox. She also went to Texas for a while. This is
        very interesting. I hope we can tie them together. I have John and
        Jane in my records. I am not at home right now. I will check a little
        closer when I get home. Thanks for letting me know about your
        findings. Little pieces of big puzzles will hopefully make a whole
        picture one of these days.

        --- In carswellsburkecountync@yahoogroups.com, joncarswell
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Ellen and all Carswells,
        >
        > I have been doing some research for any leads on John Jacob
        Carswell.
        > I was searching on Familysearch.org and did a search for his sister
        > Martha. I came across an entry for a Martha Carswell born about
        1834
        > in Morganton, Burke, NC. My records indicate that John Jacob was
        also
        > born in Burke, NC about 1823. It shows that Martha's parents are
        John
        > Carswell born in 1803 in Morganton, burker, NC and Jane Houck born
        > about 1806 in Morganton, Burke, NC. Do you think that this Martha
        is
        > the sister of John Jacob? let me know all of your thoughts.
        Thanks
        > for lending an ear!!
        >
        > Jon Carswell
        > Montgomery, TX

      • emparson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2010
          Hello Jon,
          This is very interesting. I would love to get a copy of the information you found on Martha born about 1834. I hope some of this helps you. It is still a very muddy pond.

          The information I have on John Jacob Carswell says that he did have a sister named Mary Martha. She married a Fox and I think she may have come back to Burke County.

          This information is from Bob Carswell who has been doing a great deal of research on the Carswell Family also.
          I would be interested in the Carswell book you posted information about on the Carswell Forum. I am happy to finally find some one in the Morgantown area researching this information and posting it online.

          My g g grandfather supposedly came from that area, but it seems that he and his parents must have been some of those living back in the hills and not found by the census taker. That or we are mistaken as to where he came to Texas from as his wife came from several counties away in Norwood, NC which is actually named for her father.

          Anyway, I am looking for John Jacob Carswell born around 1823 (exact date escapes me at the present) and his sister Martha Mary born around 1826. They left NC in the 1840's because JJ's wife's uncle was a signer or the Texas Declaration of Independence and had received a large amount of land near present day San Augustine, TX. (There is also a Norwood, TX there named after her father once again.)

          This obviously brought a number of people from NC at that time, as the names of other families generally run the same for Burke Cty. NC and San Augustine Cty. TX. (Mace, Fox, Carswell, along with a number of others I have seen on the Burke Cty. Forum)

          Anyway, please forward the pertinent information on the book and I hope to
          hear from you soon.

          Sincerely,
          Bob Carswell

          PS - If you do run across any information on JJ I would like to hear about it, you can email me or call 713 355 8223. Thanks again.