Re: Carswell Brothers in Civil War

  • carswellorbust
    Message 1 of 234 , Feb 4, 2006
      Phil - Are you still interested? Haven't proved Samuel yet -
      nicknamed "Squire" said to have served in the homeguard. If he can
      be proved the total is 7!

      Edie Crook in Hickory

      --- In carswellsburkecountync@yahoogroups.com, phill_baumgardner
      wrote:

      > THis may sound a littel silly, but for no good
      > reason I'd like to see if we can confirm or deny a story
      > my Great-aunt Ruthie Bumgarner (1888-1980) told us.
      > [Great-aunt Ruthie was the spinster sister of my Grandfather,
      > Samuel Thomas Bumgarner (1882-1965). There were two
      > other siblings, Alice Bumgarner (1876-1910; who married
      > milas Huffman), and Jasper P. ("Pink") Bumgarner
      > (1874-1934; who married Eliza Jane Huffman, cousin of Milas).
      > Their father (my great-grandfather) was Thomas D.
      > Bumgarner (1848-1929); and their mother was Margaret
      > Carswell (1854-1895). All are buried (along with several
      > other generations of the Bumgarner family) in the
      > Pleasant Hill (Baptist Church) Cemetery, Enola,
      > NC.]<br><br>At any rate, Great-aunt Ruthie said that there were
      > several (maybe as many as 8) Carswell brothers who served
      > in the Civil War. None of them was killed in the
      > war, but none died a "natural" death (each was killed
      > in "civilian" life after the war). Great-aunt Ruthie
      > thought this quite interesting and unusual. Has anyone
      > every heard a story like this, or did Great-aunt Ruthie
      > have an over-active imagination?<br><br>If nothing
      > else, maybe I've entertained you for a few
      > Jacksonville, FL<br>[Grandpa changed the surname from
      > "Bumgarner" in the late 1920's or early 1930's, after a more
      > recent (post-WWI) German immigrant told him he was
      > spelling it wrong - that it should be "Baumgartner". The
      > story is that Grandpa said the "a" was okay, but he
      > didn't like the "t", so he'd add a "d". Dad's oldest
      > brother had already left home and gotten married by that
      > time, so he never changed his name. Another brother
      > added the "a", but neither the "d" or the "t" -
      > although some of his children now use the "d". No wonder
      > we can't find our relatives.]

    • emparson
      Message 234 of 234 , Jul 11, 2015

        Hello Susan, I don't remember seeing this entry before. I am sorry that I missed seeing it. If you are still interested in hearing about the little bit that I know about John Jacob Carswell, I will be glad to tell you anything that I know. My email address is ellenparsons@....

        Ellen Parsons