Re: Prewit Family Bible

  • lindaburnettus
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2003
      --- In carswellsburkecountync@yahoogroups.com, "Derick S. Hartshorn"
      <derickh@c...> wrote:
      > For what it's worth:
      > I show William "Billy" Carswell marrying 26 Jan 1819 [Burke Co.
      Marr.],
      > Barbara Hoffman (ca 1798). She seems to have been the dau. of
      Samuel and
      > Barbara (Moser) Hoffman/Huffman.
      >
      > For the Cook connection, I show:
      > Name: Edward Netty COOK
      > Father: John COOK (bef 1740 - )
      > Mother: Sarah (unk. surname) COOK (bef 1745 - )
      >
      > Individual Facts
      > Birth 22 Mar 1760, Orange County, NC
      > Death 7 Feb 1842 (age 81), Cleveland County, NC
      > Marriages/Children
      > 1. Anne THOMAS
      > Marriage 4 Feb 1785 (age 24)
      > Children Hannah COOK (Feb 1789 - )
      > Aaron COOK (1 Apr 1791 - )
      > Deliah COOK (13 Feb 1793 - )
      > John COOK (30 May 1794 - )
      > James COOK (14 Apr 1795 - )
      > Sary COOK (17 Apr 1800 - )
      > Thomas COOK (5 Apr 1802 - )
      > Kizzia COOK (9 Apr 1804 - )
      > Mary COOK (18 Jul 1806 - )
      > Jesse COOK (29 Mar 1809 - 9 Apr 1889)
      > David COOK (2 Nov 1811 - )
      > That's all I have.
      >
      > --Derick
      >

      > At 08:25 PM 2/17/03 -0600, Orval wrote:
      > >Dianne ,
      > >I do not know. This Frederick Huffman says he was born in 1793. He
      is said
      > >to have had a sister named Barbara who married William Carswell.
      This
      > >Prewit Bible is so old it is hard to read even tho we have photos
      of each
      > >pertinent page. I and other Prewit descendants think that this
      bible had a
      > >previous owner and that owner was likely a Downs family member. We
      also
      > >think that David Prewit obtained this bible in 1822 long before he
      was
      > >married to Sadie Downs.
      > >
      > >We think this may have been in connection with Church. Pehaps
      David was
      > >being baptised or ? Do you have any knowledge of Frederich being a
      > >minister, elder, or the like. David Prewit later became a Baptist
      preacher
      > >before he died of disease in the Civil War. This bible was printed
      in
      > >Edinburg, Scotland 1793.
      > >
      > >The Huffmans were German immigrants. What religion do you think
      they
      > >practiced in Burke Co. NC along abt 1822?
      > >
      > >Did you know this was me?
      > >
      > >Orval

      Jane Cook,
      > > d/o John and Mary Cook (John son of Edward Cook). Am I right?
      > >
      > > Dianne Sain

      Hi!

      I do not get to the site often but noticed you mentioned
      Cook. The name pops up in Burke County Heritage and also in relation
      to the Carswells. I think they were all early settlers of the area
      around Burke County. Some are listed in the Hoffmans of North
      Carolina too. Did you find all the Cook data in the Pruitt Bible?

      Sincerely,
      Linda M. Burnett