John Jacob Carswell-More on.....

  • emparson
    Message 1 of 234 , Jun 3, 2001
      Posted by: Susan Yancey Date: February 06, 2001
      at 09:35:25 <br>In Reply to: JohnJacob Carswell,born
      Burke Ct, NC by Ellen Carswell Parsons of 323
      Emma Norwood. I know nothing about his family and
      would love to get anything I possible can. I do have
      some of the information about their descendants if it
      would help. Please e-mail me, I would love to here from
      you. <br>Celice_celt@... are some of the
      postings that I have found pertaining to John Jacob
      Carswell & Laura Norwood. ----- Original Message
      June 02, 2001 9:28 PM<br>Subject: Re: John Jacob
      Carswell & Laura Norwood.<br> Ellen, I was very excited
      when a friend brought me a printout of your internet
      letter asking for information on John Jacob Carswell and
      Laura Emma Norwood. I am a great-great-great
      grandaughter of this union. My name is Judy Carswell Seward--I
      live in Goldthwaite,Texas -- in central Texas. We have
      quite a lot of information on their family after they
      came from North Carolina to San Augustine,Texas. We do
      not have any records of their lives in North Carolina
      --- nor why they came to East Texas. So, it would be
      exciting to have this information. The John Carswell you
      found that was born in 1774 would not be John Jacob --
      our records show that he was born in North Carolina
      in 1823 -- and Laura Emma on Nov. 29,1825. They were
      married in 1846. I have no idea what his father's name
      was. You said it might be Thomas --which is very
      possible because -- Laura Emma's father was William
      Coleson Norwood . Their first child was a son named
      William Thomas -- which would have included both their
      father's names if John Jacob's was Thomas. William Thomas
      was called "W.T." ( he was the one I am descended
      from). Their 3rd child was also a boy named Thomas.Laura
      Emma's mother was Elizabeth W. "Eliza" Legrand. Our
      records show that both her parents were born in North
      Carolina -- but both died and were buried in Macune
      Cemetary in San Augustine, Texas. You also mentioned the
      fact that when John and Emma took off to live in Texas
      that possibly John's sister and husband went also. We
      have record that a Mary Martha Carswell Fox and her
      husband, Ulysses Stanhope Fox, are buried somewhere in
      East Texas -- I know someone who has visited the grave
      site. I'll have to look up my records on this. I have
      much more information to share -- also pictures,
      dates,children, etc. Please let me hear from you -- where you
      live, your age, where you fit into this picture, and
      how it was that both your parents were Carswell's. My
      Dad is A.W. Carswell -- he is 93 years old -- he was
      born on, and still lives on the place that W.T. and
      wife,Lydia Baker, homesteaded in 1881. John Jacob died
      Sept.14,1873 and is buried in Macedonia Cemetery in San
      Augustine, Texas. Laura Emma died while visiting W.T. at the
      Carswell home place here on Nov.29,1889, and was the first
      person buried in Payne Gap Cemetery -- Mills County,
      Texas. I could go on and on -- I have many more
      interesting stories. Perhaps you can share this with other
      Carswell's. Can't wait to find the rest of our MISSING LINKS
      ! Hope to hear from you soon.
    • emparson
      Message 234 of 234 , Jul 11, 2015

        Hello Susan, I don't remember seeing this entry before. I am sorry that I missed seeing it. If you are still interested in hearing about the little bit that I know about John Jacob Carswell, I will be glad to tell you anything that I know. My email address is ellenparsons@....

        Ellen Parsons