Re: Murphys in 1850 census records

  • lindaburnettus
    Message 1 of 233 , May 7 9:26 PM
      I noticed your Brittain reference and thought I
      remember that name in relation to Carswell but did not get
      a chance to check<br>my files until now. Richard
      Neal Lane, another "Billy" descendant and genealogy
      lover, who compiled Carswell information<br>for Burke Co
      Heritage and is also cited in the Isabel Brown-Carswell
      book has Alysabeth Brittain married to Jasper
      Carswell<br>born May 14, 1843 died July 22, 1920. He is descended
      from Jasper Carswell. He also found Jasper listed as 7
      on the <br>1850 census and 17 in the 1860 census. I
      wondered if the Brittains were another early family in
      Burke Co. <br> By the way have you come across the
      Workmans in Burke Co. particularly in the 1850's? I live
      in CA and never lived in<br>N.C. so I find it
      fascinating that I had so many early ancestors in Burke Co.
    • Sheila
      Message 233 of 233 , Mar 5, 2011
        I have found references that James Madison is also James Moulton Carswell. This is driving me crazy. At least Susan Amanda is constant. with the kids as Kembil, Mack Verdin, Vassie, Henry and the confusion is Sam in spelling.
        Sheila