Fwd: NOAA OER Educator Professional Development - NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer: How Do We Explore? - Birch Aquarium, La Jolla, CA, 4/27/13

  • Martin Keeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2013
    FYI

    Martin

    Begin forwarded message:

    Subject: NOAA OER Educator Professional Development - NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer: How Do We Explore? - Birch Aquarium, La Jolla, CA, 4/27/13
    Date: 12 April, 2013 1:45:05 PM GMT-04:00
    To: "oceanexplorereducation" <OceanExplorerEducation@...>

    * Please note this workshop will be hosted in San Diego, CA. For a complete list of NOAA OER teacher professional development across the nation please visit:
    http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/edu/development/onsite_development.html

    * A PDF version of this announcement, suitable for copying and posting, is attached.
    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Office of Ocean Exploration and Research announces:

    NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer: America’s Ship for Ocean Exploration
    Volume 2: How Do We Explore?
    Professional Development for Educators of Grades 5-12

    Saturday, April 27, 2013
    8:30 am - 4:00 pm

    In partnership with the San Diego County Office of Education
    and Hosted by Birch Aquarium at Scripps
    San Diego, CA

    This professional development introduces Volume 2 of the Okeanos Explorer Education Materials Collection: How Do We Explore? The NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer is the Nation’s first ship dedicated to solely exploring the world’s ocean. Participants will learn how to use standards-based lessons and other online resources that guide classroom investigations into the innovative exploration strategies, sophisticated instrumentation and equipment used onboard the ship to explore our largely unknown world ocean. Topics include how targets are selected for exploration, mapping techniques, water column exploration, remotely operated vehicles and telepresence technology that enables access to real time ocean exploration. Participants will also learn how explorers use data gathered at target sites to learn more about our deep ocean world.

    Registration is required and space is is still available. Educators who attend the full day will receive a $50 stipend. Each participant will receive Volume 2 of the Okeanos Explorer Education Materials Collection, How Do We Explore?, materials related to activities presented during the workshop, a NOAA Ocean Exploration Certificate of Participation, continental breakfast, and lunch.

    To register, go to http://sdcoe.k12oms.org/1022-67733
    or e-mail Adrienne Marriott at adrienne_marriott@...

    --
    Susan E. Haynes