Fwd: NOAA Ocean Exploration and Research Program Announces Online Teacher Professional Development Opportunity: How Do We Explore?

  • Martin Keeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2011
    FYI

    Martin

    Begin forwarded message:

    Date: January 5, 2011 3:22:59 PM EST
    To: "oceanexplorereducation" <OceanExplorerEducation@...>
    Subject: NOAA Ocean Exploration and Research Program Announces Online Teacher Professional Development Opportunity: How Do We Explore?

    Educators:
    NOAA Ocean Exploration and Research Program Announces How Do We Explore?
    An Online Professional Development Workshop for Educators of All Grade Levels

    How Do We Explore?
    January 24 - February 11, 2011
    in partnership with the College of Exploration

    Join NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research (OER) for the latest educator professional development opportunity based upon the voyages of NOAA’s new ship and
    America’s Ship for Ocean Exploration, the Okeanos Explorer. This offering introduces the second volume of the Okeanos Explorer Education Materials Collection, How Do
    We Explore? Topics include searching for anomalies, selecting sites for exploration, communication tools, telepresence technology, mapping techniques, water column study
    and operating remotely-operated vehicles. This course contains inquiry-based lessons for all grade-levels, and facilitated online reflective conversations about how we approach the
    study of our largely unexplored ocean.

    Participants will include formal and informal educators, ocean explorers, scientists, and other interested members of the public. There will be opportunities to engage with ocean
    explorers and other participants. The How Do We Explore? lessons, a wealth of other supporting resources, and optional graduate extension credit will be provided.

    Speakers will include:
    • Dr. Steve Hammond, Chief Scientist, NOAA OER
    • Lieutenant Nicola VerPlanck, Operations Officer, NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer
    • Catalina Martinez, NOAA OER Regional Manager and Expedition Coordinator
    • Mashkoor Malik, Physical Scientist, NOAA Okeanos Explorer Program, NOAA OER
    • Sharon L. Walker, Oceanographer, NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
    • Dave Lovalvo: Founder/Owner, Eastern Oceanics; Adjunct Professor, Institute for Exploration; ROV Team Lead, NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer

    The workshop is free for all participants and will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Educators will have the option to receive one graduate extension credit ($100) or
    obtain a certificate of completion.

    Registration is open at http://www.coexploration.org/oe

    * Please see attached PDF of this announcement, suitable for copying and posting.

    Susan E. Haynes
    Education Program Manager
    NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research
    www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov
    susan.haynes@...
    (401) 289-2810