Fwd: Gray's Reef Education Cruises....now enrolling!

  • Martin Keeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      FYI

      Martin

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Jody.Patterson" <Jody.Patterson@...>
      Date: February 4, 2010 11:54:10 AM EST
      To: "GRNMSEducation" <Graysreefeducation@...>
      Subject: Gray's Reef Education Cruises....now enrolling!

      Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary

      *2010 Education Cruises*

           February 09 pic 1.jpg

      We are kicking off our 2010 half-day education cruises aboard the R/V Joe Ferguson

      Nine educators are selected for each cruise on a first-come, first-served basis.

      Education Coordinator Cathy Sakas along with our vessel captains LTJG Chad Meckley and Marine Operations Coordinator Todd Recicar are excited to offer these cruises that introduce educators to a working NOAA research vessel and its capabilities.

      We conduct many activities while on the cruise and the four hours go by quickly.

      The following are some of the activities undertaken on the cruise:

      • Overview of acoustic fish tagging research project in progress at Gray's Reef
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Deployment of trawl net to sample estuarine species
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Deployment of plankton tow to sample estuarine phytoplankton and zooplankton
      February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Viewing and identification of plankton under field microscopes
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Deployment of Niskin tubes to collect water samples at various depths
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Conducting water quality monitoring test on samples (pH, N, Ph, salinity, conductivity, temperature)
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Overview of vessel navigational system
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      §  Overview of GPS
      February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Deployment of hydrophones for underwater acoustics
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Deployment of Secchi disk to determine turbidity
       February 09 pic 1.jpg
      • Completion of meta data sheets for all activities

      Departure dates for this years cruises are:

      February 20th

      March 27th

      May 8th

      Submit your request for participation to jody.patterson@... to confirm your selection!

      We hope to see you soon on one of our Grays Reef Education Cruises!

      Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary
      10 Ocean Science Circle
      Savannah GA
        31411