Fwd: New Caribbean Corals Identification Guide CD - no charge

  • Martin Keeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2007
      Fwd: New Caribbean Corals Identification Guide CD - no cha
      Hi Guys

      This is very cool. Not to mention useful.

      cheers

      Martin

      An identification guide to corals, octocorals and sponges of
      Caribbean reefs is available. It is called Coralpedia v 1.0. It is
      free (its development was paid for by the OTEP fund of the UK
      government, to assist conservation work in the UK Overseas Territories).

      Version 1 contains images and descriptions of about 64 Caribbean
      stony corals, 74 reef sponges and 41 octocorals (and a few other
      groups). Altogether over 1000 images are included. Its operation is
      designed to be by simple clicks only. Options are that species of each
      group may be ordered taxonomically (default) or by 'shape', and
      language options are English (default) or Spanish.

      The Notes file (English and Spanish) gives many of the sources,
      other databases, and other taxonomic information and, most
      importantly, it contains the credits for all those who participated
      taxonomically, photographically, or both. The Notes file also explains
      that this can be regarded as work in progress, with feedback and
      additions welcome. (Other groups may be added, if someone is keen to
      add another Caribbean reef-dwelling group, or another major Caribbean
      language, given a volunteer translator). This Notes file is located in
      the main folder and is accessible both from the software itself or
      directly by a word processor.

      Another file 'Readme.txt' is in the primary folder, for
      installation instructions and how to run it.

      There are three ways to obtain it.

      1. The primary source is a cd, available from Prof. Charles
      Sheppard. Send an email to charles.sheppard@... (with a
      mailing address in the text which is easy to copy and paste, please).

      2. Download the cd as a .zip. For this, send me your email address
      (in the text of the message for easy copying, please), and I then get
      my University 'files' site to send you the link to download the zip
      file (it is 200 mB). This (when unzipped) is the cd content.

      3. A web based version is available:
      http://coralpedia.bio.warwick.ac.uk
      Its format is, as near as we can make it, a 'match' with the cd,
      although because of differences in how pages are loaded, families are
      ordered differently (alphabetically). Obviously, viewing images of
      sufficient resolution means that the web way will work slower. The
      British Virgin Islands' National Parks Trust will be hosting this
      shortly as well.

      We hope it is useful.

      Best wishes
      Charles