Environmental Education for Fruit Bats

  • Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      [here's the abstract and author bios for a recent
      article from Conservation Biology about public
      education programs for bats. A copy of the
      article in PDF is in the FILES section of this
      group's web site

      >Conservation Biology
      >Volume 19 Issue 1 Page 75 - February 2005
      >Conservation in Practice
      >Environmental Education as a Component of
      >Multidisciplinary Conservation Programs: Lessons
      >from Conservation Initiatives for Critically
      >Endangered Fruit Bats in the Western Indian Ocean
      >CORP, A. ENTWISTLE§, S. R. T. GARRETT**, E.
      >GRANEK§§§ K. L. LENGEL, M. J. RABOUDE§§, P. F.
      >REASON***, AND B. J. SEWALL****
      >Abstract: Pteropus livingstonii, P.
      >voeltzkowi,and P. rodricensis are three
      >critically endangered fruit bats from western
      >Indian Ocean islands for which multidisciplinary
      >conservation programs have been established that
      >include environmental education programs (EEPs).
      >We describe these EEPs in terms of the
      >strategies used to achieve them and evaluate the
      >educational and conservation outcomes and
      >impacts of the programs. Educational outputs
      >(including posters, stickers, videos, lesson
      >plans, and workshops), primarily linking human
      >needs to the ecosystem services provided by
      >bats, were delivered to schools and community
      >groups, and local environmental educators were
      >trained to further develop the EEPs. Outcomes
      >included increased local awareness about the
      >bats and their conservation, training of
      >environmental educators, inclusion of bat
      >conservation and environmental issues in the
      >school curricula, and establishment of
      >community-based environmental nongovernmental
      >organizations (NGOs). Extensive prior planning,
      >presentations in local languages, distribution
      >of outputs through existing networks of
      >educators, training of local educators,
      >establishment of local environmental NGOs, and
      >local capacity-building were all associated with
      >these EEPs achieving their goals in the
      >under-resourced island locations where these
      >bats are found. The EEPs were also important in
      >the development of other components of their
      >respective conservation programs, such as
      >population monitoring programs. Although
      >long-term conservation impacts, particularly
      >tackling habitat loss, are slow to materialize
      >and social and economic issues need to be
      >addressed, these EEPs have already had important
      >outcomes and have established the foundation for
      >future conservation actions.
      >Educación Ambiental como un Componente de
      >Programas Multidisciplinarios de Conservación:
      >Lecciones de Iniciativas de Conservación para
      >Murciélagos Frugívoros en Peligro Crítico en el
      >Océano Índico Occidental
      >Resumen: Pteropus livingstonii, P. voeltzkowi, y
      >P. rodricensis son tres especies de murciélagos
      >frugívoros en peligro crítico en islas del
      >Océano Índico Occidental para las que se han
      >establecido programas multidisciplinarios de
      >conservación que incluyen programas de educación
      >ambiental (PEE). Describimos estos PEE en
      >términos de las estrategias utilizadas para
      >llevarlos a cabo y los evaluamos en relación con
      >sus resultados e impactos educativos y de
      >conservación. Productos educativos (incluyendo
> [...]

      -- -- -- -- - Island Resources Foundation -- -- -- -- --
      To reduce e-mail viruses
      1) DO NOT OPEN attachments,
      2) DO NOT SEND attachments unless absolutely necessary,
      3) NEVER SEND attachments through e-mail groups
      For subscription information to some of our 30+ e-mail groups:
      -- -- -- -- -- - Island Resources Foundation -- -- -- -- --
      DC Office: 1718 "P" Street NW, Suite T-4, Wash., DC 20036
      202-265-9712; fax 202-232-0748; cell 410-271-6970