Plane wreck artificial reef

  • EAG
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 12:55 PM
      Greetings,

      Does anyone have any experience with sinking stripped down cars/planes to
      create an artificial reef in a near shore area? I am interested in any
      stories of success and/or warnings of things to consider. A local tour op
      here has approached the Fisheries Division to gain permission to do this, I
      am looking for outside info on the issue.

      Thanks,

      Carole McCauley
      Interim Executive Director

      Environmental Awareness Group
      P.O. Box 2103
      St. John's, ANTIGUA
      West Indies
      (268) 462-6236 - Phone
      (268) 463-7740 - Fax
      eag@...
    • John Bothwell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 10:30 AM
        Try talking to the Miami-Dade Environmental Department
        (DERM: Dade Environmental Research Management I
        beleive they are called - they are on the internet)
        who do a lot of artificial reef work. There was a
        plane sunk in Miami a few years back for a tourist
        reef. Not much growth at first (not surprising) and
        kind of boring (its just a long tube with wings) then
        a storm came through and it was discovered that the
        light metal of a plane can't take much of a beating. I
        believe that some captains could probably still find
        pieces fo the plane if you asked them nicely but I
        don't think its been a commercially viable dive site
        for years.

        I am not affiliated with DERM, and the plane was
        reported as too boring for me to have bothered diving
        while I lived in Miami during the years it was in
        "operation". However, others may have different
        opinions.

        --- EAG <eag@...> wrote:
        <HR>

        <tt>
        Greetings,<BR>
        <BR>
        Does anyone have any experience with sinking stripped
        down cars/planes to<BR>
        create an artificial reef in a near shore area?
        I am interested in any<BR>
        stories of success and/or warnings of things to
        consider.  A local tour op<BR>
        here has approached the Fisheries Division to gain
        permission to do this, I<BR>
        am looking for outside info on the issue.<BR>
        <BR>
        Thanks,<BR>
        <BR>
        Carole McCauley<BR>
        Interim Executive Director<BR>
        <BR>
        Environmental Awareness Group<BR>
        P.O. Box 2103<BR>
        St. John's, ANTIGUA<BR>
        West Indies<BR>
        (268) 462-6236 - Phone<BR>
        (268) 463-7740 - Fax<BR>
        eag@...<BR>
        <BR>
        <BR>
        </tt>

        <tt>
        CARIBWA (Caribbean & Western Atlantic) Marine
        Educators Association---A<BR>
        Chapter of the National Association of Marine
        Educators<BR>
        To leave the list, send a blank message, no subject,
        no text, no<BR>
        signature to
        <caribwa-unsubscribe@egroups.com></tt>

        <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
        href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
        of Service</a>.</tt>

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com