[caribwa] Welcome to the Caribwa list

  • Claudette Upton and Martin Keeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 1999
      Hi Everyone, and welcome

      Well, thanks to Bruce Potter at the Island Resources Foundation, we now
      have a list serve for the Caribbean and Western Atlantic (Caribwa) Marine
      Educators Association.

      The purpose of the Caribwa MEA is to provide the extensive marine and
      aquatic education resources and expertise that have been developed through
      the National Marine Educators Association (NMEA) during the past 25 years
      to like-minded educators throughout the Caribbean and Western Atlantic
      region. It is to establish a community of educators throughout the region
      that can call on each other for support, information and guidance in their
      day-to-day activities in expanding the role of environmental education in
      their local communities.

      To date we have 129 active list members from throughout the region.

      * The main purpose of this, your list, is to act as a communications link
      for teachers and all those involved in environmental education throughout
      the Caribbean and Western Atlantic region.

      * If you have questions on marine and aquatic environmental education you
      need answered, details of things we might all be interested in --like
      websites and conferences -- the list is here for you.

      * Maybe you've seen a job-posting somebody might like to hear about, or
      heard of funding for marine education on a specific island and you want to
      let like-minded people know about it.

      * Perhaps you just got your hands on some really great teachers resources
      and you'd like others to know about them.

      * You are visiting a specific island and would like to make contact with
      your local counterparts.

      The list can be used for all these things -- and more!

      I will be the list manager, so there might be a few glitches until I really
      get the hang of it (or at least until my aging brain does!). So, please
      bear with me while I try and sort things out if they go wrong!

      If you don't want to be on the list, you just send a blank message to:

      If you know anyone who who you think would be interested in subscribing,
      just have them send a blank message to:

      <caribwa@egroups.com>.

      It's your list, so please use it!

      In the next couple of days I will be sending out a list of Caribwa projects
      that we will be working on over the coming months. I look forward to
      hearing your ideas and recieving your input.

      regards, Martin Keeley

      Martin A. Keeley
      Education Director
      Mangrove Action Project