[caribwa] An Interesting Environmental Ed/Beach Monitoring Proposal

  • Martin Keeley & Claudette Upton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2000
      Hi everyone -- and welcome to 2000! Hope all survived the season with the
      usual festive pleasures!

      This is my first message of the year. It originated from Bruce Potter at
      Island Resources Foundation, and I felt that its content is very relevant
      to the goals of Caribwa and the NMEA. It's a few weeks old, but my e-mail
      was down for almost a month in December, and I'm just now wading through
      the usual backlog of messages.

      My only additional comments on the info below are that the check sheet on
      marine debris to be found at the end of the message is pretty much the
      standard sheet issued by the Centre for Marine Conservation, and the one we
      use here on our regular beach cleans.

      All the best for the coming century....

      Martin Keeley

      >"Sandwatch":
      >a new project will be launched in the Caribbean
      >
      > Two UNESCO Sectors, the Education Sector and the Natural Sciences
      >Sector are going to launched, on the CSI platform, a new project in the
      >Caribbean Region- the Sandwatch project. Involved in the preparation and
      >coordination of the above project are the Caribbean Sea Project (CSP) and
      >COSALC.
      >
      >Background
      >
      > The Caribbean Sea Project (CSP) is an activity of the UNESCO
      >Associated Schools Project (ASP). It focuses on the marine environment,
      >sustainable human development and inter-cultural awareness. The CSP seeks
      >to encourage cooperation among Caribbean Basin territories with a view to
      >enlist young people, their parents and the communities in which they live,
      >to protect and preserve the Caribbean Sea, including the waterways and
      >wetlands linked to it, and to strengthen Caribbean identity.
      >
      > The Coast and Beach Stability in the Caribbean Project (COSALC) is
      >jointly sponsored by UNESCO’s Environment and Development in Coastal
      >Regions and in Small Islands (CSI) and by the University of Puerto Rico Sea
      >Grant College Program. COSALC is a regional project which focuses on the
      >island territories of the Caribbean and seeks to develop in-country
      >capabilities so that island states can measure, assess and manage their
      >beach resources within an overall framework of integrated coastal management.
      >
      > During the ASPnet CSP First Environmental Education Workshop held
      >in Tobago in July, 1998, an idea for a Sandwatch Project was launched, the
      >main goal being to reduce the level of pollution in the Caribbean Sea.
      >
      > In order to try and advance this idea, CSP and COSALC developed a
      >document for presentation to the Fourth Regional Meeting of National
      >Coordinators of the ASPnet CSP (St. Vincent and the Grenadines, 25-27 May,
      >1999).
      >
      >Activities
      >
      > The meeting was held at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs conference
      >room in Kingstown, St. Vincent from 25-27th May, 1999.
      >
      > On the 26th May, during the visit to Bequia, the proposal for the
      >Sandwatch project was presented to the participants. There was some
      >discussion regarding the proposal. Most of the participants were
      >enthusiastic about the proposal and considered it a promising way to teach
      >the basic scientific method and to apply it to problem solving at the local
      >community/school level.
      >
      > The workshop report concluded that “The Sandwatch project be
      >implemented at the school level in collaboration with the UNESCO COSALC
      >project based at the University of Puerto Rico, and relevant scientific
      >organizations at the national level. The project is to be student centred
      >and should be officially launched at the regional level with a teacher
      >training workshop in the year 2000.” It was further provisionally agreed
> [...]

      Martin A. Keeley
      Education Director, Mangrove Action Project
      Gen. Delivery, Watering Place P.O.
      Cayman Brac
      Cayman Islands
      Tel: (345) 948-0319