[caribwa] Bird Education News

  • Sbonfield@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 1999
      PARTNERS IN FLIGHT INFORMATION UPDATE

      1. BRIDGES TO BIRDING - National Fish & Wildlife Foundation is developing a
      booklet designed to help nature centers, zoos, scout groups, festival
      coordinators and others host a program on birds. The booklet will feature 12
      activity stations, each one concentrating on a different topic. The
      activities should be adaptable for use with youths and adults and may focus
      on the following topics: Identifying birds, Using binoculars, Bird Songs,
      Using a Field Guide, and more.

      We would appreciate your help! If you have developed an activity and used it
      successfully with groups, we would like to include it in the guide. The
      activity should meet the following criteria:
      a. Require few materials
      b. Provide information in a short amount of time (10 - 15 minutes)
      c. Be adaptable for youths and adults

      Organizations/individuals sharing their activities will be recognized in the
      booklet. Please contact Susan Bonfield at SBonfield@... to help.

      2. INTERNATIONAL MIGRATORY BIRD DAY CATALOGS: Do you want to distribute the
      2000 Catalog to your members? If so, please let me know the following:
      a. How many names you have on your mailing list;
      b. If you would like to send them yourselves or if you would like to
      supply labels for our mailing (depending on the size of your list).

      Please contact Susan Bonfield @ SBonfield@...

      2. CONFERENCE: The North American Association for Environmental Education
      will hold its 2000 conference on South Padre Island in October. This is an
      ideal location to share information about birds, and the focus this year is
      "Spanning Cultural and Ecological Diversity Through EE." For more
      information, contact Brenda Weiser at weiser@....

      3. GREAT IDEA! American Zoological Association has been working hard to
      encourage its members to participate in International Migratory Bird Day.
      They are working to have 50% of accredited zoos and aquaria offer special
      programs - reaching thousands of people. If you have an AZA facility nearby,
      it may be a good opportunity to help with a bird-focused event.

      As always, please share your news with the rest of the group and send me your
      thoughts.

      Best wishes,
      Sue Bonfield
      SBonfield@...