896Fwd: {SSWG Working Group List} unique Fellowship: NOAA collaboration through NSF $

  • Bruce Potter at IRF
    Aug 29, 2013
      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Leah Bunce Karrer <leahkarrer@...>
      Subject: {SSWG Working Group List} unique Fellowship: NOAA collaboration through NSF $
      Date: August 29, 2013 9:44:31 AM EDT

      Dear Social Science Colleagues,

      I’m writing to alert to a unique opportunity to connect your social science research to decision-making and to encourage you to develop a partnership with NOAA to do so.

      The National Science Foundation Science, Engineering, and Education for Sustainability (SEES) Program is offering a one to three year SEES Fellowship in which scientists partner with, and are based at, a government agency.  The Fellowship, which targets interdisciplinary research and education, enables scientists to apply their research to management and policy priorities by working directly with Federal program managers and decision makers.  Consequently, this Fellowship is a unique opportunity to learn first hand how science can be transitioned to policy.

      Social science is gaining increased attention within NOAA and, consequently, we are seeking  partnerships with social scientists who would like to apply their research to NOAA priorities - weather, climate, coasts and fisheries.   We are particularly keen to pursue partnerships related to the following social science areas:

      • Risk communication to understand how best to convey hazard warnings to the public
      • Weather response behavior to understand how to ensure timely and effective protective actions
      • Socioeconomic assessments to optimize marine fisheries management
      • Ecosystem service valuations to demonstrate the importance of coastal management
      • Interdisciplinary decision support work for climate assessments
      • Social coastal vulnerabilities to understand and mitigate risk
      • Incorporation of economics into resource damage assessments
      • Understanding and communicating the value of NOAA’s products and services

      To pursue this opportunity, please review the NSF Fellowship solicitation (http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504673 - click solicitation 12-601) .  This opportunity is open to early-career scholars (within 36 months of receiving their Ph.D. and not tenure-track). SEES awards provide salary support, research expenses and travel support for a maximum of 3 years. Twenty awards (http://www.nsf.gov/geo/oce/programs/sees-fellows-awards-fy-2012.pdf?WT.si_n=ClickedAbstractsRecentAwards&WT.si_x=1&WT.si_cs=1&WT.z_pims_id=504673&) were granted last year.  Proposals are due November 21, 2013.  Questions about NSF-specific issues can be addressed to Dr. Robert O’Connor (roconnor@...).

      If your interests are relevant to the above NOAA topics, and you would like to pursue a partnership,  please contact me and I will connect you with NOAA colleagues with relevant interests.  Please note there is no set-aside for this announcement.  Proposals for SBE investigators to spend time at NOAA  must compete with all the other proposals.  Nevertheless, our interest in working with you should lead to strong proposals.

      Please share this announcement with potentially interested colleagues.

      We looking forward to building a partnership with you!
      Leah
      -
      Leah Bunce Karrer, Ph.D.

      1315 East-West Highway