31 IGC and IGCP 433 News

  • Manuel Iturralde Vinent
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 4:49 AM
      Dear Carib-PT colleagues

      Caribbean is a single place in our planet, so it has a single story.
      Therefore, we must work together to get as close as possible to understand
      this story.

      I have just received a letter from the 31 IGC informing me that there are
      more abstract to come related to our symposium, so the list I dis gave you
      will be enlarger and have some modifications. Will keep you posted as soon
      as the info is available.
      BUT> As you are all aware of, we must be getting ready for our first
      meeting, both scientific and business one, in Rio, next August 7 and 8.
      During the scientific part of our meeting, it is important that we preserve
      the reasons that allow the acceptance of the IGCP 433 project by IUGS and
      UNESCO. It is, that we will get together not to present our models and
      popularize them in the scientific community, but in order to discuss in
      extensus, in a friendship environment, the problems of the various Plate
      Tectonics Interpretations of the Caribbean.

      This is the reason why we will have a whole session of open discussion, the
      day 8, after the presentation of some modern Caribbean models. In order to
      make this session a fruitful one, I am preparing with Lisa Gahagan a general
      evaluation of the various Caribbean PT models, but all of you are welcome to
      come along with some important points that you would like to discuss and/or
      share with Carib-PT community.

      We will be posting some materials in our web page to encourage this
      discussion. Please enjoy our site in the web.

      Manuel A. Iturralde-Vinent
      Leader of IGCP Proj 433
      Convener of 31 IGC Symposium 17-6

      Manuel A. Iturralde-Vinent
      Grupo de Geologia y Paleontologia
      Museo Nacional de Historia Natural
      Obispo no. 61, Plaza de Armas, La Habana 10100
      Fax (537) 62 03 53 Telef. (537) 63 25 89
      email: iturralde@...
      http://www.ig.utexas.edu/CaribPlate/CaribPlate.html