Re: [carib] Jurassic to Recent History of the Chortis block

  • James Pindell
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      Re: [carib] Jurassic to Recent History of the Chortis block Rob, congrats on your new digs in Puerto Rico.  I hope to see you in San Juan if not before.  Thanks for the heads up on the papers.  Will comment if I find I can be helpful.  Please say hello to Jim Joyce and Hans Schellekens etc... I am not sure who is still there now.

      Best, Jim
      --

      Dr. James Pindell, Director,
      Tectonic Analysis Ltd.,

      From: "robert rogers" <rrogers@...>
      Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:08:21 -0400
      To: <cenamgeology@yahoogroups.com>, <carib@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [carib] Jurassic to Recent History of the Chortis block

      The purpose of this message is two-fold:

      First, I wanted to let everyone know that I am now at the Department of Geology, University of Puerto  Rico, Mayaguez.  (contact information below)

      Second, I have made the following document available as a web page.

      Rogers, R. D., 2003, Jurassic-Recent tectonic and stratigraphic history of the Chortis block of
      Honduras and Nicaragua (northern Central America), The University of Texas at Austin, Ph. D. dissertation, 289 p.
      at http://www.uprm.edu/geol/Faculty%20webpages/Rogers/Rogers2003/Rogers2003.htm
      A PDF version of this document is at http://geology.uprm.edu/Rogers.htm (112MB)

      This is “progress report” on four episodes in the history of the Chortis block as well a synthesis that places these episodes in the larger context of the evolution of the Caribbean, the Cocos system and the southern North America Cordillera in Mexico.  The book contains the following five chapters and a new geologic map of Honduras:
      Chapter 1: Epeirogenic uplift above a detached slab in northern Central America
      Chapter 2: Plate tectonic controls on two styles of active, transtensional deformation along the North America-Caribbean plate boundary zone (northern Central America and offshore Honduran borderlands)
      Chapter 3: Late Cretaceous amalgamation of the western Caribbean plate by collision between the continental Chortis block and intraoceanic Caribbean arc and oceanic plateau
      Chapter 4: Cretaceous intra-arc rifting, sedimentation and basin inversion in east-central Honduras
      Chapter 5: Tectonic terranes of the continental Chortis block (Honduras and Nicaragua) inferred from integration of regional aeromagnetic and geologic data

      Each chapter is a stand-alone paper that has either been published or is in review.   (see http://geology.uprm.edu/Rogers.htm for a list of papers and co-authors). I will be presenting a large portion of this work at the 17th Caribbean Geological Conference <http://geology.uprm.edu/NewsEvents.htm>  in San Juan in 2005.

      Cheers,

      Robert Rogers
      Department of Geology
      University of Puerto Rico
      P.O. Box 9017 Mayaguez, PR  00681

      rrogers@...
      http://www.uprm.edu/geol/
      Departmental Office Phone: 787.265.3845

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Giuseppe Giunta - Dipart. Geologia Univ.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        Thank you very much for the very useful informations about your works.
        The dissertation on Chortis block is  wonderful; congratulations!
        Giuseppe Giunta

        Prof. Giuseppe Giunta
        Dipart. Geologia, Università
        Corso Tukory, 131
        90134  Palermo  (Italia)
        tel +39 0917041017
        fax +39 0917041041
        giuntape@...

        Each chapter is a stand-alone paper that has either been published or is in review.   (see http://geology.uprm.edu/Rogers.htm for a list of papers and co-authors).  I will be presenting a large portion of this work at the 17th Caribbean Geological Conference in San Juan in 2005.

        Cheers,

        Robert Rogers
        Department of Geology
        University of Puerto Rico
        P.O. Box 9017 Mayaguez, PR  00681

        rrogers@...

        http://www.uprm.edu/geol/

        Departmental Office Phone: 787.265.3845

      • Isabel Olivares
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2004
          Dear Dr.

          Receive my greetings. I would be very grateful from you if you kindly send to me information about the suitable methodology that I should use for the sampling of fossil mollusks assemblages in Miocene biohermic limestones, which do not show any stratification. This type of substrate is very consolidated, almost "dolomitic" and I need to know and compare different points of view regarding the sampling of this kind of material.

          I have thought about in taking "blocks" of some sort of size calculated on the basis of an standard volume and to carry out thin sections with the only hierarchly differentiation of the upper, middle and lower layers of the entire block, but I think this process would be subjective on those areas in which begin to outcrop blocks of unmeasurable thickness.

          I would be very grateful from you if you send to me your comments and up to date offprints of yours or other autors´papers that you consider appropriate and useful for the development of this sampling technique.

          This methodology is a part of a research project that deals with the biostratigraphy of the Cenozoic coral reef system from Falcon State, VENEZUELA which is conducted by the CENTRO DE INVESTIGACIONES DEL MAR (C.I.M.A.R.) of the UNIVERSIDAD EXPERIMENTAL FRANCISCO DE MIRANDA in Coro, Falcon State, VENEZUELA.

          Thank you very much in advance.

          Best regards.

          Isabel Olivares.
          Licenciada en Biología.

          "Giuseppe Giunta - Dipart. Geologia Univ. Palermo (Italia)" <giuntape@...> wrote:
[...]

          Do You Yahoo!?
          Visíta Yahoo! Noticias.

        • jaramilo47
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 28, 2004
            I am unable to download the paper from the address listed, is there
            any other address available??
            Best Regards
            Jose M. Jaramillo
            Universidad Nacional
            Colombia
          • Rob Rogers
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
              Links seem to be working now. I checked both from home. PDF version
              is 120MB so it may take a while to download.
              http://www.uprm.edu/geol/Faculty%20webpages/Rogers/newRogers2003.pdf

              Web version is also large. I would use fast or broadband connection.

              http://www.uprm.edu/geol/Faculty%20webpages/Rogers
              /Rogers2003/Rogers2003.htm

              saludos,
              Rob