bicyclecity (USA) and sofar vs Southern California madness continued

  • Colin Leath
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2007
      [1] http://www.bicyclecity.com/ is a project based in Cincinati, Ohio, but focusing on all of the US. I heard they are funded by a guy who sold a company to the Monster jobs site and decided to use what he made to fund this project.

      They list San Diego at the top of their page on California:
      http://www.bicyclecity.com/Bicycle-City-California-CA/

      [2] http://colinleath.googlepages.com/LLI005v7LtrtoSANDAGre2007RTPDEIR-FIN.pdf  (2mb) or http://tinyurl.com/2tcljz

      is a response to a draft environmental impact report for the San Diego Association of Governments 2007 regional transportation plan.

      which may be of interest to others interested in a top-down approach to changing entrenched car-culture.

      Recently, I haven't been noticing anything particularly enlightened happening in San Diego: they continue free parking, they fight against density, they use transportation funds to build car infrastructure, they raise fares and eliminate transfers.

      I expect this is because so much of the (politically dominant) constituency here is acting to defend status quo.

      Barring leaders presenting to constituents a compelling vision of a proximity-based lifeway and an urban form that supports that, maybe most of the change that occurs in San Diego will be forced on the establishment by California-wide policies and nature.

      Anything that opens constituents to the desirability of significant change as opposed to a defense of what they know could also help.

      Peace,
      Colin
      --
      am I caring for our body?