Fwd: An Update from the Car Free Day Team at Deer Park

  • Colin Leath
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2007

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Laura Hunter <earthlover@...>
      Date: 23-jun-2007 16:48
      Subject: An Update from the Car Free Day Team at Deer Park
      To: Laura Hunter <earthlover@...>

      Dear Friends,
      Warm greetings from Deer  Park and our national team of car free days volunteers! Thank you so much for all of your support of Thich Nhat Hanh's No Car Day proposal. We wanted to keep you up-to-date with the new developments in the growing Car Free Day campaign and how you can stay involved.

      WE HAVE A NEW WEBSITE!
      It is www.car-free-days.org. Please visit it and share it with others! You'll discover many ways to reduce your personal carbon emissions and lower your impact on global warming. You'll find fun, healthy activities that can bring more joy to your life while helping the planet. And you'll have the opportunity to be part of a world-wide pledge taken by concerned people like you to reduce your impact on the planet by driving less. Visit the website to find ways to practice Car Free Days, helpful tips and other actions you can take to reduce your carbon footprint. There's a list of 20 Fun Things to do on Car Free Days, plus Cool Links, suggestions on how to Get Active, and a creative and diverse Resources page.

      September 22nd is World Car Free Day
      Please visit http://www.worldcarfree.net/wcfd/ for more information. The Plum Village International Community will honor this World Car Free Day and encourages all of our friends to do the same.

      Make a Car Free Day Pledge
      In honor of the World Car Free Day on September 22nd, we are trying to have 100,000 Car Free Days pledged on our website by September 22nd. Please pledge yourself and encourage others to join in! Please join us to help protect life on our planet. Try four or more car free days per month or as often as you can. For every mile you don't drive, you save one pound of greenhouse gas from entering our atmosphere. To make your Car Free Days Pledge, go to http://www.car-free-days.org/pledge.php
      We thank you and the planet thanks you.

      Posters
      To help spread the word,  we have a number of posters that you can download and print from the  website. Please put up these posters in your community and email them to your friends. Also, feel free to design your own, or if you have or know children or teens, invite them to design a poster to help spread the word!  To contribute your own poster to our gallery, email us at: posters@....

      T-Shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, screen-savers, etc
      This is the next step. If you can help to design or produce other  items that can promote car free days, please contact deerparkmonastery@... . We will try to keep you informed about how to access these new, fun car-free-day materials on the new website.

      Translations into other languages
      To help promote the Car Free Days to a wider audience, we would love to have the website and posters translated into as many languages as possible. If you want to help us with this, please contact deerparkmonastery@... .

      Community
      Please contribute to our Car Free Days community by posting your ideas, experiences, questions and solutions on our blog: http://www.car-free-days.org/community.php/

      Volunteers
      If you'd like to help us spread the message, we're a volunteer organization and welcome any help. If you have skills in web design, web development, database and web programming, art or copywriting, contact our Creative Director and web designer at creativedirector@... .

      We won't solve this problem unless each person contributes. Please join us by doing your part to reduce global warming. The entire planet and future generations are counting on you.

      Thank you for your continued support.

      Enjoy your Car Free Days!
      A joyful smile to you,

      The Car Free Days Volunteer Team

      "Everyone wants to have their own private car; but with the damage to the atmosphere caused by fuel emissions, our lakes and forests are drying up and the deserts are growing. Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet. It is time for us to wake up together in order to do something to change the situation. We have to live in such a way that a future will be possible for our children and grandchildren, and our own life has to be the message."

      --Thich Nhat Hanh
      Buddhist teacher, poet and peace activist nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King, Jr.

      In October, 2006 Thich Nhat Hanh gave a speech to UNESCO calling on all nations and individuals to participate in the weekly Car Free Days. Visit the website to read about his speech.

      Who are we?

      Like you, we're concerned citizens. We're environmentalists, artists, designers, writers, teachers, parents and members of Thich Nhat Hanh's world-wide Buddhist community. What we all share in common is a deep concern for our environment and a commitment to do something about it.

      In addition to volunteering our time for this project, each of us has initiated at least one car free day per week. We also regularly use the other tips you will find on the website for reducing our carbon footprint.

      --
      May I help us be at peace. http://j9k.org/p