Call to Support Bike/Ped funding in stimulus package

  • lhogue46
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2009

      Bicycles/pedestrians and the economic stimulus
      Posted by: "Jay & Liz" lizjay@...   jay_liz2001
      Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:36 pm (PST)
      We need all our voices now! THis is a call to action from the Bicycle
      Transportation
      Association from Portland, Oregon. Please call your reps NOW!!

      Thanks to calls from bicycle and pedestrian advocates like you, the
      Senate refused to hear
      an amendment that would have blocked any Economic Recovery Bill money
      from being
      spent on biking and walking infrastructure projects. Now we need
      EVERYONE'S HELP to
      make certain that there is strong support for Transportation
      Enhancements $ for biking
      and walking in the final bill!

      Support Bicycle and Pedestrian Projects in the Economic Recovery Bill

      The House and the Senate have each passed their own version of the
      Economic Recovery
      Bill, aimed at creating jobs and stimulating the economy. Both bills
      include billions for
      transportation infrastructure, but only the House bill includes
      funding for bicycle and
      pedestrian projects in the Transportation Enhancements program. The
      House bill includes
      approximately $1.35 billion for Transportation Enhancements of which
      50-60% is
      traditionally spent on bicycle and pedestrian projects. The Senate
      bill does not explicitly
      include Transportation Enhancements, so it's unclear whether this
      funding will be in the
      final bill.

      We need to make sure Transportation Enhancement funding is in the
      final bill.

      This week there will be a conference committee where several members
      of the House and
      several members of the Senate will work together to reconcile the two
      bills. Conferees
      need to hear that Transportation Enhancements are important to
      stimulating the economy,
      creating green jobs, and moving us towards a sustainable future.

      CALL TODAY!

      Please call your senators and representative and ask them to tell the
      Conferees to support
      Transportation Enhancements in the Economic Recovery bill. Tell them:
      Bicycle and pedestrian projects create jobs at the same or better
      rate than highway
      projects.
      These smaller projects can move quickly to hire local businesses and
      help local economies.
      Providing safe and convenient bicycle and pedestrian access gives
      families healthier and
      cheaper transportation options.
      Improving sidewalks and bike lanes can make a downtown a destination
      further helping
      the local economy.
      Better biking and walking options also help ensure greater energy
      independence, less
      pollution, and a healthier United States!
      Please share this email alert with all bicyclists and pedestrians you
      can, and encourage
      them to join you in supporting biking and walking today! Thank you -
      together we will
      make a big difference!

      [And here's a website that let's you quickly find contact info for
      your representative:
      http://thenation.capwiz.com/thenation/directory/congdir.tt]