Refugees taught how to use and design American roads

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Culture shock

      One of the major challenges for organisers is to change the way the
      refugees think about cars. Many of the new arrivals suffered from lack of
      access - which they blamed on a lack of mobility - and came from places
      where cars were scarce.

      "I have been here just a few months and its very disorientating... How
      will I shop for dates to break my Ramadan fasting? And, where do I get
      halal goat meat?"

      Some want to make up for a lifetime in which they were denied cars. Others
      gravitate towards hybrid cars, believing they are a great source of
      vitamins...

      Adapted from:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5216960.stm

      ***

      :-) So... any thoughts on how to adapt this programme?

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory