Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree concept mapping with Google Earth

  • Tony Brewer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2006
      Matt Hohmeister wrote:

      > <snip>
      > - To cut-and-cover a heavy-rail, two-track metro on an existing
      > street, how much width is required for the tracks?

      Obviously clearances vary depending on width and length of rolling stock and
      whether there are masts for overhead electrification. Here in the UK, the
      usual minimum width of straight, double-track, standard-gauge lines in
      tunnels and between overbridge abutments and viaduct parapets is 26' (8m).
      I'd say 26-30' (8-9m) minimum.

      > How much width and length do we need for a station?

      By convention, the length of a station is a bit more than the length of the
      longest train that stops there. Sorry for not being more specific! :-)
      Width depends on how many passengers use the station, but minimum of 8'
      (2.5m) for side platforms, more for island platforms.

      > What is the minimum turn radius for heavy-rail metro?

      The traditional unit of length for UK railways (and roads) is the chain (22
      yards or 66 feet). This is a very useful length because one chain is almost
      exactly 20 metres.

      Usual minimum radii for heavy rail in the UK are 7.5-10 chains (495-660' /
      150-200m).

      > Same thing for on-street light rail. Track width?

      A single-track, standard-gauge light rail line fits comfortably in a 12'
      (3.65m) traffic lane.

      > Track plus platform width?

      See above.

      > Turn radius?

      For standard-gauge LRT lines, 25m (80') minimum, but can be as low as 15m
      (50'). More width is needed on sharp curves than on tangent track.

      Tony Brewer
    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006
        I have been looking at a satellite image of the area around an
        apartment I used to live in, and I've made some comments about how I
        feel the area could be converted to carfree. Comments welcome/encouraged!

        http://mahohmei.com/carfree/