Re: RV: Don't pick on bikes

  • justabike_ron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17 9:13 PM
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos F. Pardo SUTP"
      <carlos.pardo@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      > See www.justabike.net for the reality of BIKES.
      >
      > Ron
      > We just received this letter from a Bangkok citizen, who wrote to
      the local
      > newspaper (Bangkok Post) and cc'd to our project. I thought you
      might be
      > interested in reading it, since it's really encouraging to see that
      > citizen is really convinced of sustainable transport and looks
      forward to
      > improvements. Citizens are key players in the achievement of
      sustainable
      > transport policy and practice.
      >

      > Best regards,
      >

      > Carlos F. Pardo
      >

      > _____

      Bangkok Post
      > readers (14 June). He didn't have to use the opportunity to pick on
      > bicycles, however. The columnist labels bicycles as impractical in
      Thailand
      > because "this country wasn't designed as a haven for bicycles" and
      because
      > "cycling is not the culture here in Bangkok", and because a public
      figure
      > was once killed while riding a bicycle.
      >

      > Give me a break. Speaking from personal experience, our middle
      class family
      > of four has no car - just a couple of bicycles (each with a child
      seat). For
      > us, bicycles have proven more effective than a car for grocery
      shopping,
      > errands, and delivering our son to school. All of this in congested,
      > car-infested Bangkok. No pollution. No fuel bills. No challenges
      finding
      > parking.
      >

      > Surely biking isn't for everyone, and it is true that Bangkok's
      rude drivers
      > make bicycling risky. But it shouldn't be dismissed as impractical
      either.
      > If politicians want to gain some points by posing on bicycles,
      that's OK.
      > Though the exercise is clearly staged, at least they're setting an
      example
      > of sorts. They should follow through by consistently riding
      bicycles to work
      > instead of riding in VIP motorcades, by designating more bicycle
      lanes, by
      > outlawing polluting 2-cycle motorcycles, and by tuning up dirty
      diesel bus
      > engines.
      >

      > Already, bicycles are allowed on the BTS. And high quality bikes are
      > available at low prices in Thailand thanks to reduced import tax.
      Just
      > imagine how much more livable Bangkok would be if more people chose
      > supplement car use with bicycling from time to time.
      >

      > Chuenchom Sangarasri
      >
      > 298/770 Narathiwas Rajanakarindra 24
      >
      > Bangkok Garden
      >
      > Bangkok, 10120
      >
      > 02-672-0364

    • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18 5:18 AM
        Dear "justabike Ron" and everyone on this list,

        I think there has been a misquotation. I'm sorry. I DID NOT write the
        following lines as suggested by Ron's email:

        <carlos.pardo@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        > See www.justabike.net for the reality of BIKES.

        I hope everyone learns how to quote other people's posts. I do not think
        this justabike is "the reality of bikes", as it may appear by the message
        below. 40 MPH? 100 MPH??

        Thank you,

        Carlos F. Pardo

        _____