Two more good ones re: Urban Forum

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2006
      Hi again, like the previous posts these are about style (how the Urban
      Forum did or didnt go about things the right way) AND content... which is
      they are going to all three of these lists... I dont think I will make any
      more postings on this...

      - T

      ---

      Viewpoints: The urban world in 2050

      Intro: The world is fast approaching the point where the majority of the
      human population will be found in urban areas.

      The projection is that in 50 years' time, two-thirds of humanity will live
      in cities. Six experts outline their vision of the urban world in 2050.

      Excerpt:
      "The more we rely on advanced technologies, the more cities seem to grow" -
      Stephen Graham, human geographer and author of The Cybercities Reader

      Full story:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5094602.stm

      ***

      Ideas struggle amid urban chatter

      Intro: During the closing speeches at the third World Urban Forum in
      Vancouver, one leading UN figure noted that critics would leave and
      announce that "nothing will be achieved" as a result of the forum.

      "They are wrong," he added with defiance.

      Excerpts:

      ...And, even better, they were ideas that really could make a difference.

      For example, there was the Swedish town that virtually powers itself,
      including its cars, on the biogas waste from the local slaughterhouse.

      AND...

      ... Meanwhile, from a completely different part of the world, the mayor of
      the Colombian capital, Bogota, told of just exactly what could be done
      with the real will to meet some of challenges of making cities
      sustainable.

      Faced with calls to upgrade and expand the city's road network, he argued
      such a move was unwarranted, as car usage is relatively low - only around
      12% of the capital's people regularly drive.

      Instead, funds were put into a "car free city" and as a result, Bogota now
      has more cycle paths - 300km of them - than almost any other city in the
      world.

      Full story:

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      ++420 605 915 970

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World "Car free" Network
    • Sujit Patwardhan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 24, 2006

        Dear Todd,
        Thank you for sending some inspiring stuff. And please do continue sending
        more. --
        Sujit

        On 6/24/06, Todd Edelman <edelman@...> wrote:

        > Hi again, like the previous posts these are about style (how the Urban
        > Forum did or didnt go about things the right way) AND content... which is
        > they are going to all three of these lists... I dont think I will make any
        > more postings on this...
        >
        > - T
        >
        > ---
        >
        > Viewpoints: The urban world in 2050
        >
        > Intro: The world is fast approaching the point where the majority of the
        > human population will be found in urban areas.
        >
        > The projection is that in 50 years' time, two-thirds of humanity will live
        > in cities. Six experts outline their vision of the urban world in 2050.
        >
        > Excerpt:
        > "The more we rely on advanced technologies, the more cities seem to grow"
        > -
        > Stephen Graham, human geographer and author of The Cybercities Reader
        >
        > Full story:
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5094602.stm
        >
        > ***
        >
        > Ideas struggle amid urban chatter
        >
        > Intro: During the closing speeches at the third World Urban Forum in
        > Vancouver, one leading UN figure noted that critics would leave and
        > announce that "nothing will be achieved" as a result of the forum.
        >
        > "They are wrong," he added with defiance.
        >
        > Excerpts:
        >
        > ...And, even better, they were ideas that really could make a difference.
        >
        > For example, there was the Swedish town that virtually powers itself,
        > including its cars, on the biogas waste from the local slaughterhouse.
        >
        > AND...
        >
        > ... Meanwhile, from a completely different part of the world, the mayor of
        > the Colombian capital, Bogota, told of just exactly what could be done
        > with the real will to meet some of challenges of making cities
        > sustainable.
        >
        > Faced with calls to upgrade and expand the city's road network, he argued
        > such a move was unwarranted, as car usage is relatively low - only around
        > 12% of the capital's people regularly drive.
        >
        > Instead, funds were put into a "car free city" and as a result, Bogota now
        > has more cycle paths - 300km of them - than almost any other city in the
        > world.
        >
        > Full story:
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5112210.stm

        > Todd Edelman
        > Director
        > Green Idea Factory
        >
        > ++420 605 915 970
        >
        > edelman@...
        > http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain
        >
        > Green Idea Factory,
        > a member of World "Car free" Network

        > (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is
        > on urban transport policy in Asia.

        Sujit Patwardhan
        sujit@...
        sujitjp@...