World Urban Forum ends / "Real" Sim City

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2006
      Hi,

      Are we going about these things the right way? I would like to hear from
      some people with direct experience at the Forum (Pascal?) and with the
      "real" applications of Sim City...

      - T

      -----

      Forum ends with urban poor focus

      The World Urban Forum in Vancouver has closed with a call for developing
      countries to pay more attention to the problems of the urban poor.

      Excerpt: "With no real concluding statement or an expression of goals to
      be met before the next meeting in 2008, it's likely that the UN city
      summit will also be criticised as a talking shop and defended as a place
      to learn about how other are handling similar challenges."

      Full story:

      ---

      The Real Sim City

      The legendary computer game Sim City has been used as the basis for a new
      programme which is being used to project what the world's cities will look
      like in the future.

      Excerpt: Given the options, the sustainability experts using MetroQuest
      invariably selected to go for the expensive "best practices" - which made
      the city much more sound, but are options perhaps beyond the budget of the
      average city mayor.

      [...]....when the tool is used by people other than the gathered for the
      demonstraton, people are much more cautious.

      "Sustainable development cannot be defined academically - it is defined by
      the people living in the community,"...

      Full story:

      Todd Edelman
      Director