BBC - some viewpoints on the future of cities

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2006
      The BBC website had an interesting set of interviews Tuesday about
      the future of cities. Some of the views expressed were very
      compatible with a carfree viewpoint; others dealt with other city-
      related questions.

      Some quotes from the article's header:

      «««

      Viewpoints: The urban world in 2050
      The world is fast approaching the point where the majority of the
      human population will be found in urban areas.
      The projection is that in 50 years' time, two-thirds of humanity will
      live in cities. Six experts outline their vision of the urban world
      in 2050.

      "I would like to see cities that restored a more intimate
      relationship with the environment"
      Hank Dittmar, Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment

      "We're going to see a lot more of what I call 'post-modern
      urbanisation'"
      Michael Dear, author of The Post-modern Urban Condition

      "By 2050 in the developed world, energy sustainability will have
      become a very big deal"
      Professor Nigel Thrift, author of Cities: Reimagining the Urban

      "The more we rely on advanced technologies, the more cities seem to
      grow"
      Stephen Graham, human geographer and author of The Cybercities Reader

      "An urban nightmare in less than 50 years' time is certainly what
      will engulf us on current trends"
      Walden Bello, director of Focus on the Global South

      "What we are going to see is the reinvention of the notion of the
      political"
      Saskia Sassen, author of Territory, Authority and Rights: from
      Medieval to Global

      The address:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/5094602.stm

      Christopher Miller