Re: [carfree_cities] No one rides inside

  • Mike Morin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
      Cars SQUANDER precious resources!!!!

      MM

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Jym Dyer
      To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:52 PM
      Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] No one rides inside

      =v= Alternatively: Cars are stinky! Bikes are fun!

      http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/flyers/2253.PDF

      <_Jym_>

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
        Those of you who dislike the new HTML message for mat may change it
        easily by logging into Yahoogroups, going to this group, clicking on
        "Edit Membership," and scrolling down to the bottom to choose
        "Traditional Format."

        I personally find it much easier to read in my mail client in plain
        text.

        Rick

        http://www.rickrise.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com
        http://www.living-room.org
      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2006
          Thanks so much for pointing this out, Rick -- in fazct, you can do
          this somewhat more directly by clicking on the "Change Delivery
          Settings" link at the bottom of this message: it takes you directly
          to the settings page without having to log in.

          On Jun 10, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

          > Those of you who dislike the new HTML message for mat may change it
          > easily by logging into Yahoogroups, going to this group, clicking on
          > "Edit Membership," and scrolling down to the bottom to choose
          > "Traditional Format."
          >
          > I personally find it much easier to read in my mail client in plain
          > text.

          Christopher Miller
          Montreal QC Canada

          ==============================
          422-A Fleury E.
          Montreal QC H3L 1G3
          Canada

          +1 514 568-9949
          +1 514 382-4152

          christophermiller@...
          kiwehtin@...
        • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2006
            I haven't seen this movie, since it will only have the premiere next 23rd,
            but I will surely see it once released here.

            However, it made me think of another animated movie I saw on Friday: "Over
            the hedge". There's a wonderful scene where the raccoon is "presenting" the
            suburbs to other animals. They stand in front of a car, and the dialogue is
            something like this:

            - This is an SUV.
            - And why do they use it?
            - Because humans are progressively losing their ability to walk
            - And how much people can travel inside?
            - Normally, only one.
            - woooow.
            (Of course, this is how I reconstruct the dialogue, it may be somewhat
            different).

            I loved that. It was so short but precise. Of course, the quid of the whole
            movie is more general (it shows typical suburban lifestyle from the point of
            view of animals: humans eat all day just because they live to eat, they are
            couch potatoes, they use cars, etc).

            Back to "Cars", I really want to take a close look at the movie, since it is
            always in those examples where we can find the weaknesses of car drivers:
            what they like, what they don't like, and how their illusions of freedom,
            liberty and speed are just that: illusions. From the trailers of the movie,
            it's funny that a movie about cars MUST be "filmed" mostly in a desert. If
            it were in a city, it would be a big bore. But...has anyone read "Autopista
            del Sur" by Julio Cortazar? Highly recommended...

            Best regards,

            Carlos F. Pardo