Re: [carfree_cities] No one rides inside

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
      > I dont know what to think about this - this new movie
      > named "Cars"...

      =v= I know what to think: Cars Suck!
      HTH, HAND,
      <_Jym_>

      http://www.cars-suck.org/
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
        =v= Alternatively: Cars are stinky! Bikes are fun!

        http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/flyers/2253.PDF

        <_Jym_>
      • Mike Morin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
          Cars SQUANDER precious resources!!!!

          MM

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
            Those of you who dislike the new HTML message for mat may change it
            easily by logging into Yahoogroups, going to this group, clicking on
            "Edit Membership," and scrolling down to the bottom to choose
            "Traditional Format."

            I personally find it much easier to read in my mail client in plain
            text.

            Rick

            http://www.rickrise.com
            http://www.newcolonist.com
            http://www.living-room.org
          • Christopher Miller
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 11, 2006
              Thanks so much for pointing this out, Rick -- in fazct, you can do
              this somewhat more directly by clicking on the "Change Delivery
              Settings" link at the bottom of this message: it takes you directly
              to the settings page without having to log in.

              On Jun 10, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

              > Those of you who dislike the new HTML message for mat may change it
              > easily by logging into Yahoogroups, going to this group, clicking on
              > "Edit Membership," and scrolling down to the bottom to choose
              > "Traditional Format."
              >
              > I personally find it much easier to read in my mail client in plain
              > text.

              Christopher Miller
              Montreal QC Canada

              ==============================
              422-A Fleury E.
              Montreal QC H3L 1G3
              Canada

              +1 514 568-9949
              +1 514 382-4152

              christophermiller@...
              kiwehtin@...
            • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2006
                I haven't seen this movie, since it will only have the premiere next 23rd,
                but I will surely see it once released here.

                However, it made me think of another animated movie I saw on Friday: "Over
                the hedge". There's a wonderful scene where the raccoon is "presenting" the
                suburbs to other animals. They stand in front of a car, and the dialogue is
                something like this:

                - This is an SUV.
                - And why do they use it?
                - Because humans are progressively losing their ability to walk
                - And how much people can travel inside?
                - Normally, only one.
                - woooow.
                (Of course, this is how I reconstruct the dialogue, it may be somewhat
                different).

                I loved that. It was so short but precise. Of course, the quid of the whole
                movie is more general (it shows typical suburban lifestyle from the point of
                view of animals: humans eat all day just because they live to eat, they are
                couch potatoes, they use cars, etc).

                Back to "Cars", I really want to take a close look at the movie, since it is
                always in those examples where we can find the weaknesses of car drivers:
                what they like, what they don't like, and how their illusions of freedom,
                liberty and speed are just that: illusions. From the trailers of the movie,
                it's funny that a movie about cars MUST be "filmed" mostly in a desert. If
                it were in a city, it would be a big bore. But...has anyone read "Autopista
                del Sur" by Julio Cortazar? Highly recommended...

                Best regards,

                Carlos F. Pardo