No one rides inside

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
      First, see:
      http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2006/06/09/dd_cars.jpg

      (Notice the Cadillacs in this image?)

      I dont know what to think about this - this new movie named "Cars"...

      - T

      ********

      Movie review:

      Cars are people in the new Pixar animation "Cars." They talk. They have
      feelings, ambitions, senses, affections and passions. There are old ones
      and young ones, pretty ones and homely ones, humble ones and wealthy ones.
      In the stands during an auto race, the spectators are also cars. The movie
      depicts a world without humans, one in which automobiles have interiors
      but for no discernible reason, except maybe as some evolutionary holdover.
      No one rides inside.

      Full story:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/09/DDGEAJ9FD91.DTL&type=movies

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator
      On the Train Towards the Future!

      Green Idea Factory
      Laubova 5
      CZ-13000 Praha 3

      ++420 605 915 970

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
        > I dont know what to think about this - this new movie
        > named "Cars"...

        =v= I know what to think: Cars Suck!
        HTH, HAND,
        <_Jym_>

        http://www.cars-suck.org/
      • Jym Dyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
          =v= Alternatively: Cars are stinky! Bikes are fun!

          http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/flyers/2253.PDF

          <_Jym_>
        • Mike Morin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
            Cars SQUANDER precious resources!!!!

            MM

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
              Those of you who dislike the new HTML message for mat may change it
              easily by logging into Yahoogroups, going to this group, clicking on
              "Edit Membership," and scrolling down to the bottom to choose
              "Traditional Format."

              I personally find it much easier to read in my mail client in plain
              text.

              Rick

              http://www.rickrise.com
              http://www.newcolonist.com
              http://www.living-room.org
            • Christopher Miller
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 11, 2006
                Thanks so much for pointing this out, Rick -- in fazct, you can do
                this somewhat more directly by clicking on the "Change Delivery
                Settings" link at the bottom of this message: it takes you directly
                to the settings page without having to log in.

                On Jun 10, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

                > Those of you who dislike the new HTML message for mat may change it
                > easily by logging into Yahoogroups, going to this group, clicking on
                > "Edit Membership," and scrolling down to the bottom to choose
                > "Traditional Format."
                >
                > I personally find it much easier to read in my mail client in plain
                > text.

                Christopher Miller
                Montreal QC Canada

                ==============================
                422-A Fleury E.
                Montreal QC H3L 1G3
                Canada

                +1 514 568-9949
                +1 514 382-4152

                christophermiller@...
                kiwehtin@...
              • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 12, 2006
                  I haven't seen this movie, since it will only have the premiere next 23rd,
                  but I will surely see it once released here.

                  However, it made me think of another animated movie I saw on Friday: "Over
                  the hedge". There's a wonderful scene where the raccoon is "presenting" the
                  suburbs to other animals. They stand in front of a car, and the dialogue is
                  something like this:

                  - This is an SUV.
                  - And why do they use it?
                  - Because humans are progressively losing their ability to walk
                  - And how much people can travel inside?
                  - Normally, only one.
                  - woooow.
                  (Of course, this is how I reconstruct the dialogue, it may be somewhat
                  different).

                  I loved that. It was so short but precise. Of course, the quid of the whole
                  movie is more general (it shows typical suburban lifestyle from the point of
                  view of animals: humans eat all day just because they live to eat, they are
                  couch potatoes, they use cars, etc).

                  Back to "Cars", I really want to take a close look at the movie, since it is
                  always in those examples where we can find the weaknesses of car drivers:
                  what they like, what they don't like, and how their illusions of freedom,
                  liberty and speed are just that: illusions. From the trailers of the movie,
                  it's funny that a movie about cars MUST be "filmed" mostly in a desert. If
                  it were in a city, it would be a big bore. But...has anyone read "Autopista
                  del Sur" by Julio Cortazar? Highly recommended...

                  Best regards,

                  Carlos F. Pardo