Re: [carfree_cities] Re: advertisements coming to metro tunnels

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2006
      John Bredin wrote:
      ... and public transit operators
      > should NOT advertise their direct competition!

      If one enters from and to locations and departure time etc. on the Czech
      Railways website, the next link is the IDOS website, which is a
      public-private partnership where ads from various companies fill the
      screen as you get your train journey details. Some ads are from bus
      companies which might have something competing with the train ride you are
      looking at. The ideas with IDOS is that it is some kind of full choice
      thing with combinations possible of bus, bus + train, just train, etc.
      Czech Railways is as far as I know the only European operator that does
      their journey-finding stuff this way. It is really annoying, especially
      with a slow computer. I actually hate it.

      At the same time, both Prague and Brno (Czechias 2nd biggest city) PT
      operators (and Prague PT is joint-stock company with 100%shares owned by
      the city) offer services for drivers and cars, including drivers training!

      I imagine there are similar things in other Central and European Union
      countries.

      So, the "competition" argument will not work in many places.

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator
      On the Train Towards the Future!